Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imrworldwide

I keep getting a imrworldwide invasive cookie, and can't seem to get rid of it; what is it and how can I rid my iMac of it forever?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Invasive imrworld cookie

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 12:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 12:41 PM

See if this helps:

How to Remove imrworldwide.com Cookie from Your Computer

Basically look at your cookie list and search for imrworldwide and delete it

Safari preferences --> Security --> Show cookies

Firefox preferences --> Privacy --> Show cookies

12 replies

Oct 12, 2012 11:50 AM in response to 3Wood

Of course it will come back. That is what cookies do. I clean mine out regularly and within one day, there are hundreds more. Every time to you to a site, it will place 1 - 10 (or so) cookies - if you remove them and then go back to that site, they will be placed there again. There is no way to get rid of them permanently - some sites will only work if you allow cookies.

Oct 12, 2012 3:05 PM in response to babowa

Thank you so much, babowa. I'm beginning to understand cookies a little better now. I "googled" imrworldwide and tons of users have the same complaint that I have but almost all of the information I turned up was for Windows machines. This is a tracking cookie and apparently sells access to my computer to other businesses. I then get advertising e-mails...spam. What set me off on a mission to solve this is that I started to get **** e-mails and my ISP identified these guys as a culprit.

There is a software called donottrackplus that the supplier, Abine, says supports Macs and may help.

All I know is that I can delete this cookie and then just go to one or two web pages and it's back.

What's your best advice.

Oct 12, 2012 3:55 PM in response to 3Wood

Well, here is a good article on cookies in general (and tracking cookies in particular). They do not sell access to your computer. They track your IP number (a number assigned to your ISP/machine) and note that you like books for instance because you go to all sorts of bookstore websites. So, the next time you launch a search engine, the ads will be tailored to reflect that and show lots of links to books.

Here is how I have Firefox configured for cookies:

User uploaded file

I could uncheck the "accept cookies" option, but most sites would no longer work. So, I go through my cookies and delete them (I keep the cookies from my financial sites because a couple of them will not accept my login password if the cookie is gone - I have to call and get a temporary password), so I delete them selectively. If you don't have that problem, just hit delete them all. Trust me, they'll be back. I cleaned mine out last evening and have accumulated at least 50 of them since then (went to a local theatre site to see about tickets = 5 different cookies). You will get tracked. It's all about money.

As for the software you mentioned, I can't offer an opinion because I've never tried it.

Oct 12, 2012 4:24 PM in response to Keehn1

I have found and use an app from the App Store called cookie. I can't say this is perfect but it removes both tracking cookies and gives you the option to nominate favourites and separately remove flash cookies and databases.

One way of more permanently removing them is to follow a removal process of choice then immediately quit that browser. Take the same action with each of your browsers. Pay particular attention to Chrome; the Google connection says it all.

Things have certainly been more quiet on the cookie front since I bought the App (Think it was £5 or so).

Oct 16, 2012 7:32 AM in response to seventy one

Thanks again to Babowa and to seveny one. I bought the Cookie app last evening and am very pleased so far. The tracking cookies have been the most annoying. In addition to the vulgar stuff I've gotten which my ISP believes started with the imrworldwide cookie, I have gotten pop-ups selling Christmas trees for months after I researched buying an artificial tree online. I thought Amazon had something to do with it.

Bobowa mentioned a cookie article in his post but the article wasn't there. Any idea how to get to it?

Thanks again.

Oct 16, 2012 9:08 AM in response to 3Wood

Firefox can be set to ask before allowing every cookie. With some sites it can be a revelation how pushy they are with some of these tracking cookies.

I use Little Snitch to block outgoing traffic from any that get through. My blocklist is now about 5 screens long.

There's another consideration - some of these cookies are regenerated from a master file as soon as you delete them (persistent cookies).

A common way to do this is to use a Flash cookie (Locally Stored Object) to generate a new browser cookie.

Here's a way to stop at least some of them;

Safari Preferences > Security tab.

Change the database storage option to 'none'

Click 'Show Databases' and click 'remove all'.

Keep Safari prefs open for now and go to;

System Preferences > Flash Player > storage tab.

Click 'delete All' (you can have a look what's stored if you want to frighten yourself).

Change the setting to 'ask before storing'.

{while you're in there, check the camera and mic tab - you may want to block remote use…}

Go back to Safari prefs and click 'show cookies'

Remove any you don't want, or just Remove All.

Now see if the problem's still there.

Note - these instruction are based on Snow leopard and Safari 5 - later versions of Safari may have cookies in the Privacy tab and/or use different terminology.

Further reading;

http://samy.pl/evercookie/

http://ashkansoltani.org/docs/respawn_redux.html

Message was edited by: noondaywitch

imrworldwide

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.