Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes, App Store Same Thing???

Whenever I read these forums about people buying apps for their Mac products sometimes I see people refering to iTunes. Other times they refer to the App Store. From the perspective of a software consumer are these effectively the same things? What's the difference between them? etc.

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 12:45 PM

11 replies

Jun 6, 2017 10:37 PM in response to aclockworkorangutan

You are not alone, I have some money in my iTunes store but can't use to purchase app on apple store or vice versa. The only thing ever change with apple is iPhone versions which is basically bigger size, smaller size and then bigger again. Google store is taking over. Who knows when a tech co is not innovative, it will join the club with Blackberry, Nokia, Motorola etc...

Jun 6, 2017 10:44 PM in response to Zorro21c

You live in a dream world. Let us know when the folks at Google store have paid US$70 billion to app developers with apps in their store. Perhaps you missed all the Apple innovation by way of new hardware and operating systems announced yesterday in Apple's keynote address opeining the World Wide Developers Conference in San Jose with 5000+ developers in attendance.

Aug 20, 2017 10:09 AM in response to aclockworkorangutan

Okay, I right swipe on my home page and find search. I type in "iTunes". The list comes up showing Connect, iTunes Store and iTunes Apple no "iTunes".

I'm trying to download my iPhone pictures to my WIN 10 PC. Google search says load iTunes and click on "File". I could not find a "File" icon to click in any of the above apps.

Please help.

Aug 9, 2015 10:23 PM in response to Zhouwien

On a Mac or Windows desktop/laptop, you have your iTunes program to interface with your mobile device (iPad/iPhone). You also purchase apps and media through the iTunes store when your iOS mobile device is syncing with your desktop/laptop. But once you use your iOS mobile device to make purchases, you have the App Store for purchasing mainly apps and games, and your iTunes store for purchasing music, movies, books, and other media. They made it that way on the mobile device to segregate the apps from the media purchases.

When you ask a veteran Apple customer where to purchase apps and media, he/she'd quickly say, "You can download them on iTunes."

When you ask those who are recent owners of an Apple product, he'd say, "You can download games on the App Store and music on iTunes Store."

To set the record straight:

iTunes - desktop/laptop program for downloading media and mobile apps

iTunes Store - mobile app for downloading media

App Store - mobile app for downloading iOS apps and games

Mac App Store - Mac OS program for downloading apps and games for your Mac OS device(s)

So... is iTunes and App Store the same? From a platform-specific perspective, no. From a functional perspective, yes.

iTunes, App Store Same Thing???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.