12 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2012 11:36 AM by Ralph Johns (UK)
tnaseem Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Not found anyone else having a problem with this here, after a cursory search so here goes...

I have Messages Beta installed, and am getting spam messages from a couple of sources on Aim.

I checked my Security settings, and they were indeed set to 'Allow Anyone', so I blocked this person and set it to 'Allow people in my Buddy List' only, thinking this would stop them.

However, this is not the case! Despite it being set to that, I still get these messages (just had one now). I double checked the security setting, and it's still set to 'Buddy list only'. So, I'm confused why these messages keep coming through. I've also set it to 'Block specific people' (they're in that list too), but still they persist.

I then quit and restart the Messages app, the security settings reset back to 'Allow anyone' each time, so I have to set them back each time.

My first thought is that it's not saving the prefs. So I'm repairing permissions as we speak, to see if it makes a difference. If not, I'll remove the prefs and start again.

I am wondering if anyone else can shed some more light on this?

Cheers,

Tarique

MacBook Pro 2.66GHz Core i7 (2010 model), Mac OS X (10.7)
  • 1. Re: Spam messages despite security settings

Update:

I've done a Permisions Repair (doesn't fix it), and have also deleted the prefs (iChat and Messages). Doesn't work!

Every time I set the Security settings to stop this spam, restarting the app the settings are back to 'Allow everyone' each time.

Thinking I might just go back to iChat, or back to Adium! Shame, as the iMessage part of the app was proving to be quite useful...

• 2. Re: Spam messages despite security settings
    Ralph Johns (UK) Level 9 Level 9 (67,480 points)

Hi,

This is most likely down to whether you have permissions to Write to the .plists involved.

In the Finder use the GO Menu

Hold the ALT key down and select the Library item that appears.

Open Preferences.

Find and highlight com.apple.ichat.plist  (Messages still uses this).

Do A "Get Info" (Apple/CMD ( or ⌘) + i keys together)

At the bottom of the panel that appears you may have to unlock the Padlock

Use the cogwheel type icon to check the Owner (if you Own it it will list your name but greyed out)

Check you have Read an Write permissions.

Repeat this for com.apple.ichat.AIM.plist (If an Name that logs in to AIM) or com.apple.ichat.Jabber.plist if GoogleTalk, FaceBook or Jabber.

(your post suggests this is an "AIM" Account (or valid AIM name login) )

9:00 PM      Monday; March 26, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

  iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Lion 10.7.3)
     G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
     MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
     Mac OS X (10.6.8),

"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

• 3. Re: Spam messages despite security settings

Thanks for your reply, Ralph

Yeh I tried that before, to no avail, unfortunately.

However, I checked again now, and noticed that there are 'duplicate' plist files with a blank icon next to the 'normal' ones. It refuses to let me delete these. When I check their info, The 'Sharing & Permissions' are set to 'You have unknown access'.

So I went into terminal and did a sudo rm -f *iChat*. Now here's the wierd thing... It appears to delete them. Can't see the files any more in Terminal, but in Finder they're still there, including the 'normal' plist files! (Even tried this after logging in as root, not sure why that would make a difference but thought it was worth a go).

Here's my Terminal screen, after did the delete, just to prove I'm not going mad:

prefs.jpg

And here's what I see in Finder (again, after the rm command above):

search.jpg

(And yes, it is the same folder!)

Confused as **** now. btw, those 'iconed' versions, I can send to the Trash, but those blank ones with 'Unknown permissions, I can't get rid off. Done the permissions repair, etc as mentioned before, but they remain and can't be deleted.

btw, even after 'deleting' as above, all my accounts remain intact in Messages, but other settings have changed. Also, the Security settings keep reseting each time I restart the app.

Any clues on this? I'm sure this is the core of the problem.

• 4. Re: Spam messages despite security settings

Hi,

Have seen this.

Have some of these files 

EZ Jim tells me that his seem to indicate that they are Aliases.

Example Pic of Mine (it's   bit big)

Searching “Preferences”-1
    Uploaded with Skitch!

Most seemed to actually be in /Users/(AccountName)/Library/ByHost.

They seem to have a hexdecimal ID number and a creation or Modified date that does not match other .plists of iChat or Messages.

A Safe Boot appears to get rid of them.  (Thanks EZ Jim)

If deleting them does not resolve this I would move on to changing the Read and Write Permissions.

As they are being recreated then you would seem to have Write permission s to the containing folder.

10:37 PM      Monday; March 26, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

• 5. Re: Spam messages despite security settings

Thanks for that, Ralph. By going into safe mode allowed me to delete all those pesky files. However, the symptoms continue!

Nothing I set the Security settings to actually 'stick' on restart. Not only that, these spam messages continue, even when they are set to block or only allow my contacts to message. File permissions, etc are all fine.

As a test I blocked everyone, and one of my contacts could still see and message me. I asked him to do the same thing, and it was the same his end too, which leads me to believe there's something amiss in Messages Beta with the Security settings.

Looks like a lost cause... But, many thanks for persevering with me!

Edit: Actually, he's just told me that his security settings are actually sticking (despite me being able to still see and message him).

Message was edited by: tnaseem

• 6. Re: Spam messages despite security settings

Scrub that. He's just explained they are not, in fact, sticking on restart. I think then, this is definately a problem with Messages then. Will have to wait for a non-Beta release then I guess. Although, I suspect this will be only the case in Mountain Lion.

Ah well. Perils of using beta software

• 7. Re: Spam messages despite security settings

Hi,

I can confirm that if Buddies are in the Buddy list and Block ALL is set from the last but one setting those Buddies Available do not get blocked  (An Off Line Buddy Did)

Fe King
    Uploaded with Skitch!

Tested iChat 5 (the setting is in the same position - I had thought the last two were the other way round)

this Blocked all the Buddies (It did take a few seconds for the Server to catch up, change the Status Messages to "Blocked" and then send them all "Off line")

I have Changed my Main account to Block All and have put up a Status Message asking for people to tell me if they can see me On line.

As far as I can tell Specific People Blocking is working.

8:43 PM      Tuesday; March 27, 2012

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

• 8. Re: Spam messages despite security settings

Today, I selected the 'Block Specific People' setting. After a couple of hours I got the spam message from one of those blocked people (Image to illustrate...)

Messages.jpg

The Security setting's don't appear to be doing anything. Frustrating! Enough for me to just turn off AIM altogether for now, until I can figure out what's going on.

• 9. Re: Spam messages despite security settings

Hi,

AS far as I can tell there is a clear bug about Blocking people.

I would use another App such Adium or another computer with a different version of iChat and block the person from there.

7:22 PM      Wednesday; March 28, 2012

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

• 10. Re: Spam messages despite security settings

Hi

There is Apple Bug Reporter  which I shall be doing next.

I have already used iChat Feedback  (Mesages shows itself in some places to be iChat 6.1)

7:42 PM      Wednesday; March 28, 2012

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

• 11. Re: Spam messages despite security settings

Cool. I have just done the same, although I suspect they'll mark it as a duplicate

Speaking to my other AIM contact I was testing with, he now tells me his security settings are being ignored too!

I've actually turned off my AIM account now, and using Google Chat in place (iMessage is far too useful for me to let go of Messages!)

Thanks for persevering with this. Good to know it wasn't just me going mad

• 12. Re: Spam messages despite security settings

Hi,

At present I don't have the Blocked People I have in the Buddy list.

So If at present those people can see me On Line I am not aware of it.

I have two blocked just because they don't let up when they are on line.

I have about 10 blocked as they seem to thinks it's fun to just call random people and play (insert word of your choice) about.

I have one or two I am not sure why I blocked then now.

However since I have been using Messages none of these has called me.

Currently If I Block All only Off Line Buddies then get blocked

Example Pic (Apple Test accounts)

Screen Shot 2012-03-29 at 19.31.05
    Uploaded with Skitch!

The same happens for the 98 Off Line "Level 4" Buddies and the 46 "Regulars"

I have a second AIM login account and as I set thsi to Off Line it went "Blocked" in the Main Buddy list before moving to the Off Line part of the List.

This would imply that those coming On line would go from Blocked to Available.

7:36 PM      Thursday; March 29, 2012

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),