Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture and Synology NAS 212j

Hi everyone. I just bought a Synology NAS (2x2tb HD) which I plan to use with all my media (music-photos-videos) so I can access it through a mac mini server, connected to my living room tv. Concerning my photos, I have them all in a Macbook Pro (400Gb library) working with aperture 3, all managed files stored within the Aperture Library on the MacBook.

What I was planning to do is, while keeping my macbook as it is, (with all photos and aperture library stored in it, as a back-up), create a new aperture library on my mac mini and point it to the masters file located at the NAS.

I already placed a copy of all my masters in the NAS and I can actually access all these pictures once the NAS DiskStation is mounted on my wired network.

I then tried to copy all the folders and files inside the aperture library icon (except the masters), and paste them on the Mac Mini's Photo folder so that I could launch Aperture (option click) and chose to open that library.

The problem is that I get an error message: "There was an error opening the database for the library '/volume/photo/vacationeurope2012.aplibrary".

The solution I am looking for is how to keep my library and masters on my macbook and, at the same time, create a "copy" of that same library, where the library database would be stored in the mac mini and all the files (masters+projects) on the NAS.

I am now trying something new, which is to transfer the copy I have on a external HD of the whole 400Gb Aperture library and place it the MacMini. I'd then open aperture and make it relocate the masters, pointing them to the Synology DiskStation.

Any other ideas would be greatly apreciated!!

Thanks

Gustavo

Macbook, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 1:36 PM

1 reply

Apr 7, 2012 1:01 PM in response to GusBand

Hi Gustavo,

Be careful with what you place on your NAS because it is not HFS+ formated, and that means that some of the information that Mac OSx needs can't be stored on other file systems.

I currently own a QNAP NAS and I also wanted to move my iPhoto, iTunes, etc Libraries onto the NAS, but before I did so I looked it up a little bit and it seems to not be that good idea unless you purchase, of course, yet another Apple product: Time Capsule or Airport Extreme.

On the other hand, I would also like to stream videos to iPads and iPhones in my household. For that, you really need a powerful CPU. State-of-Art 2-bay NASes feature Atom processors and they choke on large files...

I may start looking into migrating my current setup and go for a Mac Mini (with enough horsepower for video transcoding) with a Time Capsule attached to it.

Man, Apple works flawlessly and I do love them, but they are sooo incompatible with every single other thing out there...

Aperture and Synology NAS 212j

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.