Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install Mac OS 9 after Jaguar on a 700 Mhz iMac

I have an iMac G3 700 Mhz SE model. I've heard it is possible to boot natively into Mac OS 9 on this machine, as well as OS X.

I currently have Mac OS 10.2.8 Jaguar installed and running on Partition 1. I now need to install Mac OS 9.1 on Partition 2. I am currently unable to do this; caught in some kind of software loop.

Can anyone tell me the procedure to install Mac OS 9? I have a legitimate Apple copy of the OS 9 Disc, and also a legit copy of the 2 Mac OS 10.2 Jaguar Discs. I also have some iMac Restore Software and iMac Install Software Discs from an older G3/500 Mhz that I own.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tom

iMac G3, eMac G4, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 2:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 2:40 PM

The procedure is to install Mac OS 9.2.1 directly from a retail CD, or if you only have retail 9.0 or 9.1 CDs, install them on a compatible Mac, update that system to 9.2.1, and if you didn't use FireWire Target Disk mode for the installation, move the Applications (Mac OS 9) and System Folder items over, and then open and close the System Folder.

Creating a 9.1 system on that iMac(not 9.2.1 or 9.2.2) requires the computer's original disks.

(65089)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2012 2:40 PM in response to Parsongs

The procedure is to install Mac OS 9.2.1 directly from a retail CD, or if you only have retail 9.0 or 9.1 CDs, install them on a compatible Mac, update that system to 9.2.1, and if you didn't use FireWire Target Disk mode for the installation, move the Applications (Mac OS 9) and System Folder items over, and then open and close the System Folder.

Creating a 9.1 system on that iMac(not 9.2.1 or 9.2.2) requires the computer's original disks.

(65089)

Install Mac OS 9 after Jaguar on a 700 Mhz iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.