Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I open files with double click, etc?

Hello, all,

I have been having problems with my MacBook (Aluminum late 2008, I think, OS 10.5). It runs slowly; files on the desktop and in my "Macintosh HD" often won't open with double-click but have to be opened with File-->Open; there are Word Work Files that won't go away; the trackpad is often stiff and not very responsive; clicking on the mouse is very stiff, despite very easy settings. In short, a lot of things are sluggish. Sometimes, also, I get the spinning beach ball, but not all the time.

I have run disk permissons repair from Disk Utility many times (both from the desktop and from the MacBook install disk); I have replaced the directory with Disk Warrior at least twice; I have verified that the disk is OK; I have zapped the PRAM; and done other things of that kind.

I took the MacBook to an Apple Store yesterday. It had been unplugged and much to my surprise, most everything seemed to be working all right. When I opened it today, however, I found everything as it was before I took it to Apple. Including the Word Work files, which I thought were gone.

If I recall correctly, this started when I was working on a long editing project in Word, but I don't know whether that has anything to do with what has happened. I've done similarly long projects before, and this never happened.

I could try trashing the Word Work files (there seem also to be quite a lot of folders with "recovered" files), but I don't want to do that unless I can be assured that nothing bad will come from doing that.

I know this seems quite comprehensive, and may involve several issues, but I'm really unhappy about this and would love to think there is something more I can do, apart from returning to the Apple Store. Besides everything else, how can I khow that I won't find, again, that the MacBook will work fine there but goes back to its troubled state when I return?

Clues, anyone?

Thanks,

jenny

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 3:50 PM

12 replies

Mar 25, 2012 3:57 PM in response to jennywren1420

jenny, I just typed this answer in another thread so I'm going to copy and paste the same thing here:

Two things to check, first how much free space does your hard drive have? Open Disk Utility, click on your drive and read what is reported at the bottom of the DU window. It'll have entries for Capacity, Available, Used.....you want to know how much is available.

Second open Activity Monitor, click the System Memory tab at the bottom and leave it where you can see it, while you use your mac watch the number of Page Outs...if that number is really high you might need to add some ram.

How much ram do you presently have?

Mar 26, 2012 4:57 AM in response to SeaPapp

Hi, Mike,

I have 211.59 left out of total HD space of 232.57.Space should not be a problem. I'll try using Activity Monitor today. I have 2 GB of memory. But since this is the first time I[ve had this problem, I don't see how it could be a problem with memory, do you?

I finished the project more than a week ago. After I shut down the computer, it temporarily returned to normal but subsewuently started acting odd again, although I've done nothing but email since I turned it on again.

I am going to try getting rid of the Word Work files and see whether that helps. I am wondering whether the book I was working on had something wrong with it (it was written in NeoOffice but opened in Word), or my copy of Word has gotten corrupted. Although I haven't used Word since I finished with the book.

Sorry this font is so tiny, but although I was able to choose my font in my original message, there doesnt' seem to be a place to do that here. At least, I don't see it.

I'll get back to you on the Activity Monitor. Thanks.

jenny

Mar 26, 2012 5:07 AM in response to lboe

Hi, Iboe,

Disk Utility says that the hard drive is fine, and I don't know what other hardware could be failing. In any case, I'd hardly say that I use the computer very hard – or at least, not hard enough to wear it out. Consider that I have a 2000 desktop that is still going strong. I have used that one a lot! Can you be a little more specific about what hardware you think might be failing?

I shall try disposing of the Word Work files. I have the original (unrevised) files and the final ones, so I doubt that I need all that other stuff. I'll let you know what happens.

I gave more information (about the amount of HD space left, the memory) in my reply to Mike. I am beginning to suspect that there was something wrong with the files I got from my author or with my copy of Word, but I shall see what happens after I use Activity Monitor (per Mike's suggestion) and ditch the Word Work files. Then I can go from there, if the problem persists.

Thanks for your message.

jenny

Mar 26, 2012 3:26 PM in response to jennywren1420

jenny, It seems like you're dealing with more than one problem (maybe). nvnv0 has a valid point to address the stiff mouse button and track pad. Can you try removing the battery and run your macbook just on the power cord? See if the mouse and trackpad feel better then. The spinning beachball could be a different issue. Lets try one thing at a time.

Why can't I open files with double click, etc?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.