Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can Quicktime Pro for Windows convert DV-AVI files to DV-MOV files?

Hello,

I'm looking to simply convert windows DV files so that they'll be Mac-compatible.

This should be simple, but I couldn't get MPEG Streamclip to work. Can Quicktime Pro (for Windows) do this?

I'm looking for lossless convertion that only changes container/wrapper from AVI to MOV and not transcoding the video.

So The file inside will be identical to the original. It seems like it should be a quick and easy process, and very common.

And yet it's been very problematic for me even to get straight information. I have a hunch this is easier to do on the mac,

which could be my plan B using my wife's computer, but any suggestions for doing this with Quicktime or any other program

in Windows, or even Mac if I have to do that? Thank you!

Windows XP Pro, Quicktime Pro

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 3:52 PM

2 replies

Mar 26, 2012 4:38 AM in response to 5stringsteve

I'm looking for lossless convertion that only changes container/wrapper from AVI to MOV and not transcoding the video.

So The file inside will be identical to the original. It seems like it should be a quick and easy process, and very common.

And yet it's been very problematic for me even to get straight information.

Not a windows user, but if MPEG Streamclip and QT 7 Pro work the same on a Windows platform as they do on a Mac, then both QT 7 Pro and MPEG Streamclip should be able to do this. In QT 7 Pro, the "Save As..." option always copies the original data format in whatever file container to the same compression format(s) an MOV file container. MPEG Streamclip should also do this with the option of using other file containers depending on the compatibility of the original compression format(s). That is, an H.264/AAC file could be saved to either an MOV or MP4 file container. However, be advised that copying data to containers other than the generic MOV file container using MPEG Streamclip may drop incompatible/extraneous data tracks contained in the original file container. (E.g., saving H.264/AAC/AC3 data to an MP4 file container will normally drop the AC3 data track but retain it in an MOV file container.)

NOTE: The above work flows assume the source file codecs are supported by the QT 7 Pro or MPEG Streamclip app configuration being used.

User uploaded file

Mar 26, 2012 10:44 AM in response to Jon Walker

Thanks for the help, Jon.

I've heard that the features and functions of both programs are somehat different in the Windows and Mac.

So I think my best next step will be to try to find exactly what those features are. I did some searching already--"Quicktime Pro Technical Specifications" and the like, but haven't come up with a definitive answer whether Quicktime (on Windows) will do this. As I said, I couldn't get Streamclip to work. It tells me that "3ivx.dll was not found..." so it doesn't fully function from the get go. Finding and installing 3ivx.dll sounds easy enough too, right? Well that would be a whole other thread, and I'm not even gonna go there.

Thank you and any others in advance for any further leads or ideas.

Can Quicktime Pro for Windows convert DV-AVI files to DV-MOV files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.