Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine?

I wanted an external hard drive so can make more room on my macbook pro. I have a FreeAgent GoFlex 1TB. If I back up my computer using time machine to the external hard drive... can I delete things on my mac (ex: pictures, music) to make more room on my computer? I don't want to permanently lose anything though.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2009), iOS 5.1

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 5:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 11:03 PM

Greetings,

A backup is a copy of the original file so you have 2 copies (The original and the backup). If you use TimeMachine to backup your computer and then delete the original files from the computer you don't have a backup, you've just moved the file from point A to point B. This is not what TimeMachine is for, and more importantly, its more work than you need to do.

If your goal is not to backup but rather, move files off your computer, just drag those files to the drive to copy them, and then delete the original. This will free up the space and leave the copy on the external drive.

I would suggest moving single large files if at all possible (like movie files).

Note: Before you start moving files to an external drive make sure that drive is mac formated.

Cheers.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2012 11:03 PM in response to Sweethang

Greetings,

A backup is a copy of the original file so you have 2 copies (The original and the backup). If you use TimeMachine to backup your computer and then delete the original files from the computer you don't have a backup, you've just moved the file from point A to point B. This is not what TimeMachine is for, and more importantly, its more work than you need to do.

If your goal is not to backup but rather, move files off your computer, just drag those files to the drive to copy them, and then delete the original. This will free up the space and leave the copy on the external drive.

I would suggest moving single large files if at all possible (like movie files).

Note: Before you start moving files to an external drive make sure that drive is mac formated.

Cheers.

Jul 4, 2015 9:01 AM in response to Sweethang

This is a new question I can't find " start a new discussion" hopefully someone can help me with this.

Time Machine. After 8 years of using my Macbook pro I order a new one today. I am handing off my old Macbook pro to my nephew. I have backed up everything to two Lacie discs I very rarely have used Time Machine. I work in law so needless to say I will be needing to access older documents and materials. Any and all suggestions would be very much appreciated as to this process. I know I will find myself digging around the drives. Will my last desktop be labeled as a folder in Time Machine. Also what is the best and most secure application to erase all data from my old machine before I give it away.

Thanks so much in Advance Troy

Time machine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.