Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automator Clean My Desktop...ok....BUT

On the App Store I saw an item CleanMyDesktop but folks complained it didn't get all file types. So I thought I'd try it with my modest Automator abilities: FIND, FILTER, MOVE TO FOLDER...

BUT...but it only works if there are files of that type on the desktop, so if there happens to be no pics, the application stops right there, or if there are no docs, it stops there, etc.

But if I put an item of each file type on the Desktop, sure enough it runs all the way to the conclusion.

So how can I fix this? Tell it to move on even if there are no items of that type of MOVE.

'Cause right now it ain't good. I tried this to clean my Desktop and now I'm tossing junk all over the Desktop so the app can finish.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.3), 4GB RAM; Wacom, Powermate, MagicTrackpad, iControl,

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 5:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 5:43 PM

Open the AppleScript Editor in the /Applications/Utilities/ folder and use a construct such as:

tell application "Finder"

move (every item of desktop whose name extension is in {"jpg", "png"}) to folder "Pictures"

move (every item of desktop whose name extension is in {"txt", "doc"}) to folder "Documents"

end tell

(65096)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 25, 2012 5:43 PM in response to 60wpm

Open the AppleScript Editor in the /Applications/Utilities/ folder and use a construct such as:

tell application "Finder"

move (every item of desktop whose name extension is in {"jpg", "png"}) to folder "Pictures"

move (every item of desktop whose name extension is in {"txt", "doc"}) to folder "Documents"

end tell

(65096)

Automator Clean My Desktop...ok....BUT

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.