Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automator Playback - Application not running when expected

I am trying to create a workflow automation that I can trigger from iCal. This is a really simple automation, but I can't get it to work.

I have a program called ProPresenter and I need to go to the next presentation at a set time. Manually all I have to do to go to the next presentation and start it, is to make ProPresenter active then hit the down key, then the right key.

I recorded those three things with Automator.

When I play them back, I get an error that says:

Watch Me Do failed - 1 error

Application ProPresenter 5 is not running when it is expected to.

Not sure why that error gets thrown up. Of couse the program is running??

Seems like this should be simple.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kirk

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3), 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7

Posted on Mar 25, 2012 6:08 PM

4 replies

Sep 14, 2017 8:27 PM in response to triherd

I know this thread has been abandoned for a long time, but I'm having the same issue with Watch Me Do's and Excel. I feel like Microsoft just makes broke and buggy as **** software, so maybe that's the problem here.. I guess other people are having the same issue with other programs though.

I see you copied the script, so you must have at least figured out how to convert the Watch Me Do into apple script. Does it work when you convert it? I find it only works if I convert the Watch Me Do into applescript by dragging the actions out. I don't know why it can't work as a Watch Me Do... it actually did work for a short time - it was about 20 minutes or so I had it working, but then it just decided it was poisoned or something and fell over dead.

I'm going to try updating everything. I think I need to update Office as well as Mac OS.

Oct 28, 2017 3:09 PM in response to getdistracted

So I had updated the OS, and ALL of my MS Office applications including Excel, but Watch Me Do still won't work with it. Is this an obvious bug in Microsoft's horribly coded and horribly bloated software? Microsoft you stink! Something so incredibly useful could help me so much, and you just go and write buggy code and then break everything on me.

Sep 6, 2014 9:35 PM in response to BrianK83

I am encountering the same problem trying to execute some simple cut and paste operations to a website that only accepts one item at a time. I did the "watch me" routine and the script looks reasonable, but yet it get the error message of:

"Application Excel is not running when it is expected to."

The script is pasted below but is a lot more simple looking in Automator than down below.

I am using the current version of Mac O/S 10.9.4 on a Macbook Pro with Microsoft Excel 14.4.4 (Office 2011 for Mac).

Script pasted from automator:

******************************************************************************** *************************************

-- Bring the window “Skywardexport.xlsx” to the front.

delay 2.387595

set timeoutSeconds to 2.000000

set uiScript to "click window \"Skywardexport.xlsx\" of application process \"Excel\""

my doWithTimeout( uiScript, timeoutSeconds )

-- Click the “Edit” menu.

delay 1.769971

set uiScript to "click menu bar item \"Edit\" of menu bar 1 of application process \"Excel\""

-- Go To...

delay 2.392007

set uiScript to "click menu item \"Go To...\" of menu 1 of menu bar item \"Edit\" of menu bar 1 of application process \"Excel\""

-- Type 'b3'

delay 3.053997

set uiScript to "keystroke \"b3\""

-- Press Return

delay 1.023963

set uiScript to "keystroke \"

\" "

on doWithTimeout(uiScript, timeoutSeconds)

set endDate to (current date) + timeoutSeconds

repeat

try

run script "tell application \"System Events\"

" & uiScript & "

end tell"

exit repeat

on error errorMessage

if ((current date) > endDate) then

error "Can not " & uiScript

end if

end try

end repeat

end doWithTimeout

Automator Playback - Application not running when expected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.