Previous 1 2 Next 16 Replies Latest reply: Mar 27, 2012 5:16 AM by Eric.
zanyface Level 1 (0 points)

Holy Crap!  I joined iCloud feeling the clock ticking.  Then I learn I need the $29.99 OS upgrade to Lion to support iCloud and I oblige.  NOW, I learn MS Office 2004 is not supported!  Feeling a little baited here.  Can't open any of my .doc's!  Any advice before I go out and drop another C-note on software that worked to suit my needs a day ago!!!  Contemplating a timemachine restore, but then I'm back to iCloud > Lion $29.99....   ...and my iphone won't sync without iCloud, right?

iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.1, iMac Intel Core 2 Duo, iCloud
  • shldr2thewheel Level 7 (25,865 points)

MS Office 2008 is supported in Lion.

• John Galt Level 8 (45,948 points)

With so many better alternatives today you don't really need MS Office. If you really want to dump another $100 or whatever MS bloatware goes for today you can, but life is good without it.

OpenOffice and NeoOffice are both free. Pages is $20. They all open and save MS Word documents.

...and my iphone won't sync without iCloud, right?

Your iPhone does not require iCloud.

• zanyface Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks JG.  If I want my iphone to sync ical, addressbook and email, I need iCloud since MobileMe is phasing out, right?  Thanks for the free word processing options.

• John Galt Level 8 (45,948 points)

If you want to sync "wirelessly", yes. However, that method is not without its risks... if for example you accidentally delete a contact (or all your contacts) on one device, guess what happens to all the others.

I like having redundant backups that I can control, but this is ultimately a subjective decision.

Does it matter if I get MS Office 2008 or 2011?  I can get 2008 cheaper and looking for a cheap fix.  Is there a free download to upgrade 2008 up to 2011?

• Lanny Level 5 (6,939 points)

Is there a free download to upgrade 2008 up to 2011?

No

Office 2004 is 8 year old software developed at a time when Apple didn't use Intel processors. Don't you think an upgrade is more than justified?

Apple provided a free solution, Rosetta, that lasted up to Lion's release in Aug 2011.

In theory, Microsoft could have provided a free upgrade to support Intel processors in the Mac, but they chose not to do so. They chose to offer Office 2008, a profit making upgrade.

• Kurt Lang Level 8 (36,660 points)

No. Office 2008 or 2011 are paid upgrades.

Will MS Office 2008 be enough for home use (write letters, hardly use excel & pp).  Is 2011 better?

• Lanny Level 5 (6,939 points)

..... enough for home use (write letters, hardly use excel & pp).

The free alternatives can do that.

• Csound1 Level 8 (46,910 points)

John Galt wrote:

If you want to sync "wirelessly", yes. However, that method is not without its risks... if for example you accidentally delete a contact (or all your contacts) on one device, guess what happens to all the others.

I like having redundant backups that I can control, but this is ultimately a subjective decision.

Regardless of how or even if you 'sync' backups are a necessity, unless you don't care much for your data.

• HACKINT0SH Level 5 (5,760 points)

You really should follow John's advice about Pages. Not only is it a very cheap alternative (much cheaper than MS), but this also will get your documents to synch with iCloud.

• petermac87 Level 5 (7,365 points)

HACKINT0SH wrote:

You really should follow John's advice about Pages. Not only is it a very cheap alternative (much cheaper than MS), but this also will get your documents to synch with iCloud.

Also I believe that either Entourage or Outlook, not sure which one, is only included in the most expensive copy of MS Office for Mac, if one of those is a program you use. Try Googling.

Pete

• Csound1 Level 8 (46,910 points)

If a word processor alone is enough take a look at Bean

• celliott147 Level 4 (1,300 points)

I personally use Pages, Numbers, and Keynote... When Mountain Lion comes later this year, the iCloud syncing of the iWork apps will be invaluable...

Previous 1 2 Next