Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot times vary extremely after SSD install on a Macbook 6,1

I have a white unibody Macbook (Macbook6,1), which is factory-built-to-order except for the following components that I installed yesterday:

- 8 GB (2x 4GB) DDR2 RAM from OWC

- OCZ Octane SATA 2.0 256 GB SSD Drive

I have a 100% clean install of OS X Snow Leopard, and all the updates have been performed.

The problem I have is the following: extremely long boot times, but only when booting after a full shutdown.

For example, during the update-restarts the computer re-booted extremely fast (as expected from an SSD).

Also, re-booting after OS X install was fast. When selecting restart from the OS, and watching the restart process, it boots very, very fast.

It's only when I'm starting up from a full shutdown that it seems like I have to wait forever, and by forever I really mean the "gear" is turning over 10 minutes (never bothered to time it, it's very, very long). It's even longer than a 'safe mode' boot (which, in my experiences, performs normally).

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be here? I've read lots of other posts, but don't really see a similar pattern...

(I've also tried the "system preferences"-"select startup disk" item, but that doesn't help, also because the only disk in the system is the SSD...)

Thanks guys!!!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8), v6.1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2,26 4GB RAM

Posted on Mar 26, 2012 2:16 AM

3 replies

Mar 26, 2012 3:26 AM in response to michaeljgdd

The drive worked fine booting from an external enclosure as well.

Below from a non-boot (hang) during startup:

Got boot device = IOService:/AppleACPIP...
BSD root: disk0s2, major 14, minor 2

Bug: launchctl.c:3557 (23930):6 ioctl(s6, SIOCAIFADDR_IN6, &ifra6) != -1
Running fsck on the boot volume...
Executing fsck_hfs (version diskdev_cmds-491.6~3).
launchctl: Please convert the following to launchd: /etc/mach_init.d/dashboardadvisoryd.plist
AppleAHCIDiskQueueManager::setPowerState(0xceb1b00, 2 -> 1) timed out after 100107 ms

When it boots slow, it hangs a bit on 'executing' and 'launchctl', but I didn't get a "timed out" before.

I just re-booted again and now I get this:

Got boot device = IOService:/Apple....
BSD root: disk0s2, major 14, minor 2

..and then it went very fast and I saw something like "fsck not needed because volume is journaled", and the desktop appeard instantly after.

Does anyone have any ideas why I'm getting such different booting patterns?

Mar 26, 2012 3:57 AM in response to michaeljgdd

In summary, after a few scenarios, I get:

Very fast boot: something about fsck not needed, but can be "forced -f", but the lines fly by too fast to read.

Slow boot, no hang: slow on "Running fsck_hfs, and "launchctl: Please ...", but the desktop appears after some lines like "[.... ] has arrived".

Slow boot, hangs on boot: either I get the time-out as mentioned above (1), or hundreds of lines mentioning IOError, media not present, ...(2)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Boot times vary extremely after SSD install on a Macbook 6,1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.