Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cropping problems

Hi, aperture is not letting me crop to 8x6 or 6x8. When I go to custom, select the size to crop, crop, and save the file, when i open the cropped file and also the crop control to check whcih crop it is, the crop is saying compelety different to the custom crop i have just made, wierd and really anoying, I have a load of images to crop, can i batch crop to a custome size?

Thanks

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 26, 2012 5:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2012 5:26 AM

If you use 4x3 or 3x4 crop, you dont have to worry about custom crop. The crop numbers have nothing to do with size or dimensions of the picture, they are ratios of height & width.

What do you mean by save? there is no save in Aperture. Do you mean you exported the cropped picture and imported? There is no need to do that.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 26, 2012 5:26 AM in response to Dave Angel

If you use 4x3 or 3x4 crop, you dont have to worry about custom crop. The crop numbers have nothing to do with size or dimensions of the picture, they are ratios of height & width.

What do you mean by save? there is no save in Aperture. Do you mean you exported the cropped picture and imported? There is no need to do that.

Mar 26, 2012 5:29 AM in response to Dave Angel

You can crop many pictures at once with the Lift&Stamp tool. Do one picture and lift adjustments. Unselect all adjustments and IPTC, then select only the crop adjustment. Then select all the pictures you want to crop and stamp them.

But how do you know the first crop will work on all the other pictures. Ususlly crop removes parts of the picture that are unwanted, and each picture could be different.

Mar 26, 2012 6:28 AM in response to Dave Angel

I need the same images but with different crops, how do I do that?

Crops are not bound to folders or albums; crops (and any adjustment) are applied to image versions. An image version will look the same in all albums, books, slideshows ..

If you need the same image with different adjustments in different albums create a second version of the image to be included in the other album.

Regards

Léonie

Mar 26, 2012 7:50 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

yes, but what I've noticed is that yes the adjustments will stay the same, but if I make the crop different then its only the lates crop whcih will be saved as such, basically if want 20 of the same image 8x6 and then 20 of the same image 10x8, then the mostvrecent crop is the the one to be kept in all all of the folders i dare to make, it will not keep more than one crop, is thta correct?

Mar 26, 2012 8:04 AM in response to Dave Angel

Duplicate the versions one version for each of the crops you want. Put the duplicates in there own Albums and then redo the crop on the duplicates.

So basically in the Album you have now select all the images you want to do this to and duplicate the images. The dups are selected, now do a new album, include selected images, name the new album say 8x10.

In the 8x10 album select one of the images crop it to the new crop. Select the lift and stamp tool stamp select the rest of the images and stamp.

Harder to write then to do.

Cropping problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.