Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

upgrade Xcode 3.2.4 to 4.2 on OS X 10.6.8 fails

I downloaded Xcode 4.2 for Snow Leopard (Disk Image) from Developer Downloads onto my MacBook running 10.6.8 with 2GB ram and 212GB free disk space.

I opened Xcode.mpkg directly from inside the .dmg and it seems fine until it gets to the actual "Installation" step. It says "Preparing XCode" for a moment and then says "The installation failed." Any suggestions for how to get 4.x Xcode on 10.6.8?

Below are some possibly useful screenshots.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 26, 2012 9:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2012 9:42 AM

>I opened Xcode.mpkg directly from inside the .dmg

Try simply double-clicking on the installer to run so it can have a fair shot at failing & feeding back instead.

In any case, before running the installer always be sure to quit:

- Xcode

- Interface Builder

- Application Loader

- iTunes

- iTunes Helper via Activity Loader

7 replies

Mar 26, 2012 9:46 AM in response to thunderrabbit

Hmmmm I tried to rename /Developer but could not. I tried to move /Developer to a new location but could not. Perhaps it's simply a permissions issue. I'll

sudo mv /Developer to /old/Developer

and see if it will make me a sandwich install correctly.

. . .

I was able to move /Developer to /old, but the install still failed in the same place.

Mar 26, 2012 9:52 AM in response to K T

> Try simply double-clicking on the installer to run so it can have a fair shot at failing & feeding back instead.

yes, that's what I did. Specifically, I double-clicked the .dmg to open it, then double-clicked the installer to run it.

And yes, everything has been quit except Firefox and Terminal. Maybe I'll reboot and try again.

But then, it's bedtime for me (2am). ;-)

upgrade Xcode 3.2.4 to 4.2 on OS X 10.6.8 fails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.