Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need new interface!!!

Any recommendations on a interface for use with Logic Pro 9 on Snow Leopard/Lion? I'm fed up with M-Audio FW1814....CUTTING OUT RANDOMLY/CONSTANTLY WHEN I'M IN THE MIDDLE OF TRACKING A PERFORMANCE!!!!!

I'm sorry for yelling.

Anyone with good experience with any of the following? We track live guitars and drums, 12 inputs necessary for kit.

Apogee Products

PreSonus Products

Echo AudioFire 12

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

iMac 27" - 3.4GHz QuadCore i7 - 16GB Ram - Firewire 800

OSX 10.6.8

Logic Pro 9

Posted on Mar 26, 2012 10:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 12:25 AM

I love my Motu 828, Have they got a model that would do your job,?

I have never had any trouble with mine for 10 years.approx.

11 replies

Mar 27, 2012 7:59 AM in response to xfggfx

The 828mk3 looks to be right up my alley, and price range.

Right now anything that won't drop out during the middle of a take would work!!

Follow up question though, have you ever daisy chained an additional pre, in my case would be an 8 channel pre, via ADAT to the MOTU? I'm assuming Logic can just 'see' the channels yeah? And not the actual device?

Thanks for the heads up on the Motu, 10 years and no issues, that's solid.

Mar 27, 2012 3:29 PM in response to skiz19

MOTU, Excellent...

RME, Excellent

Both solid dependable devices.. use Firewire if possible.

Not sure why the M-Audio is cutting out though, it does take M-Audio a bit to get the drivers right but when they do it usually works ok. How are you getting 12 inputs on the M-Audio?

If you try another interface make sure you can return it as not all of Apple's Firewire plays the same, just sayin"

What sample rate are you recording at, what is your I/O Buffer set to?

Mar 27, 2012 7:56 PM in response to skiz19

+1 for MOTU. I have an original Ultalite and an Ultralite mk3 hybrid - both excellent devices that just work. Low latency and depandable (I use them on stage where they HAVE to work every time all the time).

And thoughtfully designed too - they've thought about pretty much every little detail, including virtual loopback channels, standalone mixer operation and the ability to clock to any other coreaudio interface using just the driver - no physical digital audio or clock connection - makes them great candidates for aggregate devices. Preamps on my ultralites have always been nice and quiet.

RMEs are supposed to sound better - and they probably do, but they cost around twice as much per channel of I/O and the difference will be slight.

Mar 29, 2012 7:31 AM in response to skiz19

oh yeah - about using ADAT inputs - you're right. those ADAT channels should always show up as just extra input channels on the interface, but will be silent unless something is plugged into them. Never actually done it on a MOTU, but that is how it works on other interfaces.

ADAT (like S/PDIF) is just streaming interleaved digital audio samples, and unlike a firewire or USB connection, caries no information about what sort of device is plugged into it - just the plain old raw audio stream (with probably things like sample rate and bit-depth piggy backing on there as well - not sure of the actual protocol).

Mar 29, 2012 8:43 AM in response to Arvid Tomayko-Peters1

I need an interface too. I have a 17"MBP. Soon will get Logic 9. Soon will get a Home theater in a box that is 7.1.

Last week I saw MOTU came out with a HDMI interface. This looks to be the only way I can get audio out of my MBP to an audio amp......HDMI. I dont think USB or FW can do 7.1

I know its "Home Theater" but at least it will get the job done.

Mar 29, 2012 9:18 AM in response to FCPeditor

any usb or firewire audio interface with 8 output channels can totally do analog 7.1 surround. 7.1 is just 8 channels of audio. then you set up in audioMIDI setup and/or logic which channels on your interface you want to correspond with which speaker.

Now, if your home theater system doesn't have individual analog audio channel channel inputs, or you really must connect digitally to it, then that's true - you'll need HDMI or optical audio (which i understand macs have in the headphone jack - but dunno if it does surround) or something like that. And there, when we get to the consumer-oriented stuff, that's where my knowledge ends 🙂. Can a mac send surround audio out to HDMI on the thunderbold port with just a thunderbolt => HDMI adapter? I bet you could google that and get a quick answer.

Mar 29, 2012 7:29 PM in response to Pancenter

Apologies for the delay all.

On our last record we only used 8 via MAudio's Octane 8 pre. As i shamefully bow my head and admit that we were using Protools Mpowered on an xp pro box to track everything, haha, the octane => fw 1814 via lightpipe got the job done.

We've just outgrown our current studio and rigs. Everything has been upgraded, and we're currently designing a live drum room, so we're gonna need some more i/o to get the room sound dialed in, along with a few additional strategic mics.

As for the specifics on our setup, it's realtively simple. SM57 (in isobox w/ cab) => fw1814 => logic pro via 800/400 cable. We're tracking at 44.1, and we haven't altered the i/o buffers at all, so they're at the default. We've been on such a roll writing-wise, and we both spend about 8 hours a day staring at monitors so we tend to get loud rather than troubleshoot, haha. It's completely random, and pretty darn near impossbile to perform a solo when you lose the backing tracks!!

A high percentage of everything that I read suggest the drivers are the issue. I haven't upped to Lion yet, as Snow Leopard has been really REALLY stable.

I truly appreciate and am diggin the feedback on the MOTUs though. I'll def check them out. Can't wait for those Apogee thunderbolt interfaces!! $$$$$$ lol

Need new interface!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.