Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my new iPod touch sort music by album artist, instead of song artist?

I recently go an iPod touch 4th Gen. My old iPod sorted music by song artist, but the new one sorts it by album artist. My problem is this: There is an album called Re:generation. It was a project in which 5 DJs each made 2 songs for the album. So I enter the info for each song, but my iPod sorts it by album artist, which is listed as "Re:generation". I wanted the songs to be sorted by the 5 artists that actually made the songs, so there would be 2 songs under 5 different artists. If I wanted to listen to the whole album, I could press the album tab, scroll down to "Re:generation" and play the whole album. This all worked fine on my old iPod, but now it doesn't.

My first solution was to change the album artist on each song to the artist that created that song. But then by iPod list 5 different albums, so I can't listen to the album as a whole if I wanted to. My next solution was to erase the album artist info for each song, but now none of the ten songs can be found under the artist tab. I have to go over to the album and pick which song I want to hear.

If you don't understand, here's an example. 2 of the songs on the Re:generation album are by Pretty Lights. I want to be able to select Pretty Lights under the artist tab, choose all songs, shuffle, and have those 2 songs play at some point. But I would also like to be able to got to the album tag, select Re:generation, and play all 10 songs in order. However, the new setup won't allow me to do this.

So I'm wondering if I can fix the problem by somehow editing the iPod's sort settings (if possible), or reverting back to the old system (if possible), and why Apple even changed the system in the first place. It seems pretty stupid to me, and I honestly see no reason to change what I thought was a perfect system.

Posted on Mar 26, 2012 11:10 AM

1 reply

Why does my new iPod touch sort music by album artist, instead of song artist?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.