11 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2012 6:45 PM by CorkyO2
Koen van Dijken Level 1 Level 1

In Aperture 3.2.3 when you straighten an image (rotate it a certain amount) and then press 'M' to see the master image (the image without any adjustments applied to it) you still see the rotation. This happens on Canon G9 JEG's and RAW's. Is this a bug or does it serve a purpose?

Koen

• léonie Level 10 Level 10
    expertise.photosformac
    Photos for Mac

This happens on Canon G9 JEG's and RAW's. Is this a bug or does it serve a purpose?

Hi Koen,

that is what master image files are all about - the master is the original image without adjustments. When you view the master you see the pristine, original state. So you can compare the effects of your adjustments to the original.

When you export your image Aperture will add all the adjustments and render the final image starting from the master; so you can have a lossless workflow and always revert to the original version or derive several different versions from one singel master image.

Regards

Léonie

• Koen van Dijken Level 1 Level 1

Hi Leonie,

I understand the difference between versions and masters, I'm working with Aperture for several years now. What I noticed is that when a Straighten adjustment is applied to an image, and when you press 'M' to see the master, you'll see the master, but with the straigthen adjustment still applied. In other words, you see the master image (without any adjustments) but with straightening. And imo straightening is an adjustment.

Koen

• léonie Level 10 Level 10
    expertise.photosformac
    Photos for Mac

Sorry for getting you wrong, Koen -

That is indeed weird, and I see the same thing on my raw images, Canon EOS 5D Mark II.

But not on any other master images - that looks buggy to me; for all purposes straighten is treated as an adjustment in Aperture.

There seems to be a general problem with Canon raw formats - also time zone adjustments do not seem to stick.

Regards

Léonie

• mcewen98 Level 1 Level 1
    expertise.iphone
    iPhone

I'm seeing strange glitches with images that previously had the straighten tool used on them in 3.2.3 too.  RAW or JPEG doesn't matter.  See these:

http://imagebin.org/205296

http://imagebin.org/205297

Aperture is showing a previously worked on image behind the rotated image.  Sometimes it shows green fuzzy snow.

If I rotate a new image I'm seeing what has already been described.  If I hit M to show the master it does not undo the rotate.  Actually if I watched really closely it looks like it goes back to the original rotation and then snaps back again to the adjustment I made.

I regenerated all previews, thumbnails and rebuilt the library and none of that helped.  I'm really questioning if I trust Aperture with keeping all my images safe at this point.

• CorkyO2 Level 4 Level 4

Seeing the same thing here with Nikon D80 files.

I think it is tied to this known issue:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4237

Resizing the viewer window or restarting Aperture seems to sort it. Definitely a bug.

Note - also seeing the same brief show of un-straightened Master before showing an adjusted preview of Master like 'mcewen98' is reporting.

expertise.iphone
    iPhone

Restarting aperture, resizing the viewer or applying another edit to the image does not fix it for me. The thumbnail is still wrong too. 

mcewen98 wrote:

Restarting aperture, resizing the viewer or applying another edit to the image does not fix it for me. The thumbnail is still wrong too. 

Sorry to hear that.

It may very well be a separate bug then. Might be worth sending feedback to Apple on it.

Since it behaves the same as the linked KB article for me, I can't really report again (reported on that one last week). But the issue definitely needs to be fixed by Apple soon, whatever the cause. Not good to have issues with preview updates and ability to compare against original Master render preventing a smooth work-flow.

• Koen van Dijken Level 1 Level 1

Thank you all for your feedback. I submitted a bug report at Apple.

Koen

• shuttersp33d Level 4 Level 4

Do you guys still see the problem if you actually apply the straighten? Meaning, you straighten the image, then click back to the selection tool (off the straighten tool), and then hit M.

I don't see the problem if I apply the straighten.

expertise.iphone
    iPhone

I reported my bug and Apple sent me an email asking for more information.  So hopefully this means they are working on a fix!

If I restraighten the image again or reset all adjustements it does seem to go away.

shuttersp33d wrote:

Do you guys still see the problem if you actually apply the straighten? Meaning, you straighten the image, then click back to the selection tool (off the straighten tool), and then hit M.

I don't see the problem if I apply the straighten.

If I click the selection tool, it works correctly; but if I then reselect the straighten tool it returns to the same behavior where pressing M to show master version is the same as the straightened version.

Not too impressive at this point, but we'll see what they fix in the next update.

Running PS CS6 beta on the same rig and it works great (even the new crop / straighten behavior which is nice because it works live as well). Not sure what the issue is with AP 3 (although it seems to me it has to do with the previews and the database records).

I will report as a bug in case it helps.