Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad/iPhone not displaying TV Shows correctly with Home Sharing

Ok - this has been bugging me quite a while, through several iterations of IOS and iTunes - and I've got to get this straightened out.

Have Home Sharing turned on. I can access just fine with both my iPhone and iPad. Movies display as expected, Podcasts display as expected. HOWEVER, TV shows are a complete mess. While I have everything organized by show/season, and defined appropriately within iTunes, what I get on my iPad and iPhone are about 5 of the TV shows and seasons repeated over and over. For example, I have "TV Show 1, Season 1". It shows as the first item on the list, possibly 2-3 other TV shows display, then "TV Show 1, Season 1" displays again. And when you click on it, it is definitely that show/season, repeated over and over and over. Several tv shows may show up in between, sometimes the same show/season is repeated one after another.

Now - to complicate things - I also have an Apple TV using the same Home Share. The TV shows display there correctly (although the order is not alpha, and not quite "most recently accessed". I'm not quite sure what drives the order here).

So - why is there a problem? And what do I do to fix it so I can correctly stream my TV Shows to my iPad via Home Sharing (and see ALL of the TV shows, etc)

iMac 24, Mac OS X (10.7.2), 2TB HD, 4GB Mem

Posted on Mar 26, 2012 3:41 PM

7 replies

Mar 28, 2012 7:09 PM in response to tundrwd

Do you have any better luck with that if you update to iTunes 10.6.1.7?

From the notes for the release:

iTunes 10.6.1 provides a number of improvements, including:

• Fixes several issues that may cause iTunes to unexpectedly quit while playing videos, changing artwork size in Grid view and syncing photos to devices.

• Addresses an issue where some iTunes interface elements are incorrectly described by VoiceOver and WindowEyes.

• Fixes a problem where iTunes may become unresponsive while syncing iPod nano or iPod shuffle.

• Resolves an ordering problem while browsing TV episodes in your iTunes library on Apple TV.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Mar 30, 2012 2:11 PM in response to tundrwd

This is what has worked for me. (And it shows that Apple has inconsistent implementations for sorting/presentation of TV shows across iTunes, the Remote App, Sharing on the ATV and Sharing on the iPad.)

Set these items in the "Get Info" dialog's tabs:

Video : Show - set for all episodes of a show to the same value.

This is sufficient for iTunes to group the episodes.

Info : Artist - set for all episodes to same value used in Video : Show

This is required for the iPad to group the episodes.

Info : Track Number - in correct sequence for each episode

I don't know if this is necessary. But it is where I started so I've got them all set.

Video : Episode Number - in correct sequence for each episode

This works for iTunes to display episodes in the correct sequence.

Info : Name - (optional) The episode's title. (This defaults to the file name imported.)

Video : Episode ID - set to same value as Video : Episode Number for each episode

With this field left blank the iPad sorts/presents the episodes alphabetically based on Info : Name

--

This is a rather ridiculous requirement of redundant data entry. And it clearly shows that no one at Apple is tasked to ensure that listing iTunes video content operates consistently across all the platforms which can present/display a common data set.

iPad/iPhone not displaying TV Shows correctly with Home Sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.