Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What to do if iPhone freezes, What to do if iPhone freezes

The phone is unresponsive. The touch screen appears to not be working. Is there a "reset"

iPhone 3GS (8GB), iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Mar 26, 2012 8:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 9:47 AM

Yes there is something called a "hard reset". Hold the home and lock button until the Apple logo appears.

5 replies

Mar 27, 2012 11:03 AM in response to cwfromtfnj

Standard troubleshooting...

• Try a reset by pressing the home and sleep buttons until you see the Apple logo, ignoring the slider. Takes about 5-15 secs of button holding and you won't lose any data or settings.
  • If still a problem restore from your backup.
  • If still a problem restore as new, i.e. without your backup. See how it runs with nothing added to it.
  • If still a problem, it's likely a hardware issue.

Dec 14, 2015 8:15 AM in response to paulcb

I have 5 users with iPhones ranging from iPhone 4/4s/5s/and 6, and they ALL, at some point with regularity, have the same unresponsive screen. Its kind of curious that perfectly working for YEARS 4s and 5s have just recently begun displaying this problem as are 2 iPhone 6s! Using a bit of analytical troubleshooting I doubt very seriously this is a hardware problem for all 5 family members phones? The 4s are limited to a different ios version than the 5s and 6s. The 6s are by far the most frequent lock ups (several times per day) followed by the 4's (3-4 times per week). I rather suspect an unintentional glitch in the operating systems. My iPhone 6 is over a year old and began displaying the problem with an iOS upgrade in the summer. I'm a bit ****** that Apples software quality control is apparently lacking. BTW, all of them are temporarily "fixed" by simply locking/unlocking screen using power button but at times must do the hard reset To get the screens responsive again. Its very very frustrating to say the least.

What to do if iPhone freezes, What to do if iPhone freezes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.