Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

question mark and finder folder

My Friend gave me his Old Imac G5 and when i boot it a question mark and the finder folder blinks

my friend says to install OS X because its running on nothing and I have been trying to install

OS X 10.6 but it wont respond to the Disk it just keeps blinking after a while it starts making this

loud noise as if its running something, the furthest ive got it to a blue screen with a replay icon button

towards the left and an arrow button pointing right but cant do anything after that, i dont know what to do.

My other problem is the i have the latest wireless keyboard and wireless magic mouse so i cant connect

them thru wifi until i have my imac running so im using a normal Dell Keyboard....

iMac

Posted on Mar 26, 2012 8:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2012 8:48 PM

You cannot install Snow Leopard on a G5. Leopard is the last version of OS X you can install on a G5. Snow Leopard is Intel only.

6 replies

Mar 26, 2012 9:01 PM in response to JulMolina

You will need its original system install CD (not just any old grey system install disk), or a retail system install CD, or an external FireWire connected hard disk containing a bootable volume of OS X 10.5.x or earlier.

Once you obtain one of them, holding the option key at startup will boot Startup Manager: How to select a startup volume

Unable to boot OS X 10.3 or earlier: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1411

Unable to boot OS X 10.4 or later: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2570

Mar 26, 2012 9:37 PM in response to JulMolina

were would be the place to find the original system install CD.

Ideally, your friend:

My Friend gave me his Old Imac G5

The Apple Store may have original system install discs but I would be surprised since no Apple Store in the US that I know of sells them any longer.

It will not be free, but if they have one that would be the best option. Otherwise you will have to peruse the used market. In the US that could be Amazon Marketplace or eBay. I do not know where you would start in India, but many eBay sellers ship worldwide.

Make absolutely certain you are getting a full retail installation CD and if it is Leopard or Tiger, make sure it is for your G5 and not an Intel iMac. System specific disks are grey in color and will not work except for the exact system with which they were included.

question mark and finder folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.