Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iPad Hotspot

Hello,

I bought a at&t new iPad. I got to know that AT&T's iPad does have necessary hardware to support hotspot but doesn't support as of now. Does that mean i will get an hotspot only if at&t chooses to support? What if I want to use the iPad as hotspot with a different carrier in a different country?

Thanks,

Kash

iPad Wi-Fi + 4G, iOS 5.1

Posted on Mar 26, 2012 10:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 26, 2012 10:41 PM

The iPad is supported by 4G, ATT isn't there yet on the Hot Spot, while Verizon already offers that option.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5205

Tells you what carriers. No other countries.

7 replies

Oct 27, 2012 4:05 AM in response to Kash15

Hello ,

I had almost same problem with my new ipad3. And 2 days of research I was able to sort out the issue.

1. IOS 5.1 was pre loaded and the personal hot spot option was not there at all. Checked with my carrier and they said they support interbet tethering

2.Then I upgarded to IOS 6

3. Personal Hot spot option came under settings>cellular data

4. But there was no direct hotspot option under settings

5. I changed my sim to another carrier sim which was there in my friend's iphone(with working mobile data and internet tethering)

6. Rebooted may be twice

7. And surprisingly direct "personal hotspot" option started displaying under settings apart from under settings>cellular data

8. Checked data and hotspot ,Both started working and I confirmed there is no problems with my ipad and ios6

9. Changed the sim back to original and given the correct APN settings for both data and Internat tethering. In my case I just had to specify APN only . No user name and password ( Againg it is carrier dependant)

10. Switched on wireless , made sure that wireless didn't connect to any wifi network

11. Switched on hotspot

12 .Set the wifi password

13. Kept the hot spot screen alive with with the display time out set to 5 min

14. Checked the laptop , My ipad hotspot network was showing there. Right click > Forger network

15. And finally connect to my ipad hotspot wireless.

16. Win 7 took about 2 mins to detect the internet connection on that. Please keep in mind that hotspot settings screen should be alive in the ipad.And will show you there is an active hotspot connection.

17. Once you are connected and able to browse then you can switch off your display and your connection will stay

Hope this long story helps somebody :-)

Please make a note that Your carrier should support hotspot (Internet tethering) and you must ask for proper APN settings from your carrier. Other wise none of the above stated things will not work :-(

Rgds

Vinayan

New iPad Hotspot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.