Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Canon 550D connecting to MacBook Pro via FireWire 800

As far as I know, my MacBook Pro (MacBookPro8,1) has a FireWire 800 port. My Canon 550D / Rebel T2i has a combined A/V output and a mini HDMI port. I've been looking around online about a cable that would allow me to connect these 2 together via Firewire (required by Adobe OnLocation). I'm asking here because I'm assuming that someone here is bound to know something about compatible FireWire cables for my MacBook and my DSLR in order to use the software. My knowledge goes as far as needing to know if the MacBook and the DSLR ports are 4-pin or 6-pin. I don't know how to tell and I can't find this information about my MacBook Pro.

So, the question is: how can you tell how many pins my MacBook's FireWire port requires? And if someone can confirm, is it possible to connect these two things?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 2:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2012 9:38 AM

I can only answer part of your question. Your SLR has mini HDMI and a mini USB out. Your MBP has three ways to connect: USB, FW 800 (9 pin) and Thunderbolt (which is ao far supported by a limited number of devices).

As far as I know, you will not be able to use On Location with the Canon. But I could be wtong. Good places to ask are the Adobe forums and Canon forums.

Good luck.

Russ

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2012 9:38 AM in response to Vogoe

I can only answer part of your question. Your SLR has mini HDMI and a mini USB out. Your MBP has three ways to connect: USB, FW 800 (9 pin) and Thunderbolt (which is ao far supported by a limited number of devices).

As far as I know, you will not be able to use On Location with the Canon. But I could be wtong. Good places to ask are the Adobe forums and Canon forums.

Good luck.

Russ

Canon 550D connecting to MacBook Pro via FireWire 800

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.