Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading to Mountain Lion from Snow Leopard

Will I be able to upgrade to Mountain Lion straight from Snow Leopard, or will I have to buy Lion first? I haven't found any information that answers that question.

MacBook Pro 2.5 Ghz., Mac OS X (10.6.8), 4 Gb of RAM

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 8:59 AM

10 replies

Mar 27, 2012 1:30 PM in response to David Biddix

David Biddix wrote:

Will I be able to upgrade to Mountain Lion straight from Snow Leopard?

Yes of course, Mac's always have had the ability to erase the drive and direct install a operating system compatible with the hardware.

If your using TimeMachine, or a external clone, you can transfer your User accounts that way using Migration Assistant.

When a new OS X version is upgraded over the old one, the previous one is removed and the new one placed there, now if Apple facilitates that or not automatically is debatable, but they did allow 10.4 users to upgrade to 10.6, and Apple wants everyone on the latest OS version, so I don't see why the wouldn't do the same 10.6 to 10.8.

Still you can always erase and install. You will have to buy all new versions of software to work with 10.8, just like you would for 10.7. Likely next to nothing from 10.6 can be carried forward to 10.8. except your files.

I'm waiting for 10.8 myself as well, because 10.7 frankly is garbage IMO.

Mar 27, 2012 1:40 PM in response to ds store

10.7 works just fine for me. If you have trouble with it, it is highly unlikely you won't with 10.8, unless Apple changes its focus. Plus we still have no idea if all that will run 10.7 will also run 10.8. Don't jump near an upgrade until you are backed up, have all your applications ready for the update, and/or need it. If it don't need it, an update is unlikely to fix anything that is apparently broke on your system. You have to isolate it first.

Jun 28, 2012 4:43 AM in response to David Biddix

Yes, you have to upgrade to Mac OS X Lion, Then Mac OS X Mountain Lion.

If You have Snow Leopard, then upgrading to Mac OS X Lion is only $29.99 via the Mac App's Store, a one time fee for all your Macs if you download it to your devices first before you actually install it to avoid paying more than once. If you have Mac OS X Lion, then Mac OS X Mountain Lion is only a one time purchase fee of $19.99. Mountain Lion will be available as a single software upgrade via the Mac App Store beginning in July 2012. The BEST PART is you only have to purchase it one time to upgrade all of your Macs. So its like $50 bucks total for ALL your Macs to get both Lion and Mt Lion. The same price it was total for family pack when Snow Leopard came out for upto 5 systems. Exept this time you get 2 upgrades for about the same price as 1 upgrade before.

To watch an exciting video from the WWDC/June2012 regarding what Developers, APPs, Mountain Lion, iPhone4S, and IOS6 will brings to the table, click below:

http://www.apple.com/apple-events/june-2012/

I can't wait.

Good Luck,

Jenn

Jun 28, 2012 5:09 AM in response to DJ Jenn

I don't think I can remember having to upgrade to an OS to upgrade to another OS. There was only one reason you had to upgrade to Snow Leopard to get Lion, to get the App store that was on Snow Leopard to be able to download Lion. Leopard and previous OS's didn't have the App store. So, to answer your question, you should be able to upgrade from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion. $19... you save $10 or $19+$29= $48... you save $29!

Jul 31, 2012 9:16 PM in response to David Biddix

Gentlemen, learn from the thousands of posts on these forums from very tech-savvy people who "upgraded" to Lion and have been tearing their hair out since. Including myself, and I have a fast CPU with 7200 RPM hard disk with 8GB of RAM.

Do yourself a favor and do a clean install of any new OS from Apple. Upgrading is going to screw you sooner or later.

Upgrading to Mountain Lion from Snow Leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.