Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do configuration instructions exist on Software Update Services for 10.7.3 clients?

I've looked high and low. Can anyone point me to some USEFUL information regarding how to setup Lion 10.7.3 server's Software Update Service for 10.7.3 clients? Specifically, I'm tryng to figure out how to "point" 10.7.3 Lion clients to the server for their updates. Currently, the service is on and the queue is full.

Thanks.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 11:46 AM

8 replies

Mar 27, 2012 3:18 PM in response to DOLAdmin

How hard did you look? The information isn't hard to find.

You need to set the CatalogURL setting in the com.apple.SoftwareUpdate preferences on the client.

If you have a central directory with managed users you can do this on the Open Directory server and it will propogate as users log in, otherwise you need to walk through each machine and update the preferences via something like:

sudo defaults write com.apple.SoftwareUpdate CatalogURL http://your.server.net/index.sucatalog

This is all covered in the Software Update Admin Guide.

Mar 27, 2012 4:11 PM in response to Camelot

I believe the original requester asked for Lion information. Granted, the informaiton *may* be in the manual you referenced, but to give the guy a break - you referenced a SNL server manual. And there are MANY MANY MNAY changes between Lion and Snow Leopard servers.

Please, give the guy a break. And please a softer touch wouldn't make you look like, well an AH.

Mar 28, 2012 7:07 AM in response to pacific123

Pacific123 - Indeed there's enough variance in Camelot's referenced URLs from OS to OS to be concerned - although testing the 10.6 syntax probably won't hurt anything. Despite his (or her) arrogance; props for at least getting me to a potentially useful document. What gets me about people like this, though, are his and similar responses that somehow reflect agitation (?!) at the thought of a question being asked - not to mention the implied inference that perhaps I (and we'll have to assume most others who post questions in forums) didn't exectute enough due diligence. Really!? How DARE people like us post here without first exhausting every printed word/document known to man! Let's see if I check... (hold on...) yup - it says "Apple SUPPORT Communities" at the top alright... And there is, indeed a "Start a New Discussion" link for peple to click without (I think) a "I first checked every printed word/document known to man" check box requirement...

I doubt Camelot's a "bad person or an "AH" as you may have surmised. After all he did respond - albeit grudgingly perhaps - not sure. But I digress. I only hope I never, never, NEVER - EVER end up WORKING for or with anyone with similar thought processes..

Do configuration instructions exist on Software Update Services for 10.7.3 clients?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.