Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

xmllint

I recently upgraded to osx lion and when I now try to use xmllint I get the following error:

Wilberts-MacBook-Pro:mess-trunk wilbert$ xmllint

Launch of "xmllint" failed: the PowerPC architecture is no longer supported.

Wilberts-MacBook-Pro:mess-trunk wilbert$ which xmllint

/opt/local/bin/xmllint

How do I fix this?

Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 1:50 PM

5 replies

Mar 27, 2012 1:57 PM in response to wfpol

Lion does not support PPC-only software. The version of xmllint you have installed is apparently not compatible with Intel hardware.

Fix: Update xmllint to an Intel compatible version. Snow Leopard and Lion install their own version of xmllint that is compatible, so either you've upgraded over a really old version of OS X or installed your own copy of xmllint.

The one installed on my system works perfectly.

Mar 28, 2012 12:29 AM in response to wfpol

I started out with 10.3 and have been upgrading an migration through a few versions since then.

I kind of expected the OSX migration wizard to fix this for me and overwrite any unsupported with it's own working copy of that executable. My question still remains, how do I get Lion to put back it's own, working, copy of xmllint?

@Kappy:

Btw, the /usr/bin one is a hard link to /opt/local/bin/xmllint.

xmllint

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.