Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't get time capsule to set up

Please Help! I am new to Apple and this community. I just got a macbook pro as well as a time capsule. I was told you could set up the time capsule and macbook to use it as a backup external hard drive and to connnect all my wireless devices. I have tried everything, read every useful question and answer this community has offered, all the manuals and help through Apple but I still can't even get my time capsule set up. I tried to install airport uttility on windows and followed those directions but still no luck. All I am getting is a flashing amber light and no connection found. the only thing I have not tried is usb cord type connection only Ethernet cables. What am I doing wrong. if anyone has suggestions I would love to hear because I am at a loss. Thank You

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 2:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 2:32 PM

Describe your existing network, and how you want to place the TC into it.

First step, download airport utility 5.6 for Lion.

By far the easiest way to get started is to plug the LAN port in TC directly into the laptop with ethernet.. (usb is not for connections to computers). Turn off the wireless in the laptop.. press the reset and power on the TC.. keep holding the reset for 10sec and once it restarts you can then find the TC and set it up.

With the TC as the only network device now connected to the computer, airport utility should work fine.

Go to manual setup.. go to internet tab.. in the connection sharing, set to off, bridged mode.. update the TC.

Now disconnect the TC from the laptop and plug it into the main router by ethernet.

Turn wireless back on in the laptop. Try to find the TC again.. it should now appear.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2012 2:32 PM in response to ksamb

Describe your existing network, and how you want to place the TC into it.

First step, download airport utility 5.6 for Lion.

By far the easiest way to get started is to plug the LAN port in TC directly into the laptop with ethernet.. (usb is not for connections to computers). Turn off the wireless in the laptop.. press the reset and power on the TC.. keep holding the reset for 10sec and once it restarts you can then find the TC and set it up.

With the TC as the only network device now connected to the computer, airport utility should work fine.

Go to manual setup.. go to internet tab.. in the connection sharing, set to off, bridged mode.. update the TC.

Now disconnect the TC from the laptop and plug it into the main router by ethernet.

Turn wireless back on in the laptop. Try to find the TC again.. it should now appear.

can't get time capsule to set up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.