Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Switching between full screen apps on remote computer via screen sharing

Here is my problem: I am dialed into a remote computer via screen sharing. The local and remote computers are both running 10.7.3. The remote computer has three different apps in different desktops, all of which are running in full screen mode. How do I switch between the desktops on the remote computer? All of my attempts to enter mission control or change desktops on the remote machine cause me to enter mission control or change desktops on the local machine. I'd rather not change the hotkeys to launch mission control on the remote computer because this problem exists on several machines that have multiple users. Is there a way to turn on and off sending "control" or "system" keystrokes to the remote machine when using apple screen sharing?

Thanks for your help.

Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 1:59 PM

5 replies

Feb 19, 2013 1:21 AM in response to acyclone

I have this too and have looked for a fix without any luck. I do have a workaround though.

On the remote machine open System Preferences > Mission Control

Select a hot corner from the list to activate mission control.

When you mouse over that corner on the local machine Mission Control will pop up.

Also the keyboard shortcuts will enable you to enter Mission Control if they are assigned differently on the two machine. For example I have ^↑ (Control Up Arrow) assigned on the remote machine to enable mission control but I use the mousepad on the local machine.

I'm still looking for a better solution and will come back if I find one.

Feb 19, 2013 1:26 AM in response to acyclone

Further checking reveals that if you disable the Ctrl Left Arrow and Ctrl Right Arrow shortcuts to switch between full screen apps on the local machine the same shortcuts will successfully swap between full screen apps on the remote machine whien you are in Screen Sharing

The only issue is wheher this loses functionality for you on the local machine. It's not n issue for me as my local machine is always an MBP and I switch full screen apps using the track pad.

To disable the shortcuts.

System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts

Then untick the appropriate sections under Mission Control

May 22, 2014 11:02 AM in response to urbanprojects

Thanks urbanprojects, that is exactly what I was looking for. I always use a three-finger swipe on my primary road machine and have never used the Ctrl-Arrows anyway. Using your suggestion, I've disabled them on the MacBook and now, with a some new muscle-memory, I'm happily (and instantly) switching between multiple full screens on the laptop AND my various remotes, all together as if they were on one machine. Beautiful solution!

Switching between full screen apps on remote computer via screen sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.