Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto "11 won't open library from external HD that was fine before I copied it over.

When try to load my iPhoto Library from the external HD I moved it to I perfrom the [Option]+click on iPhoto, I show it where the iPhoto Library is and when I click [OK] it does nothing. The virtual button depresses but nothing happens.

iMac i7, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 7:59 PM

7 replies

Mar 28, 2012 8:54 AM in response to eford1616

I have the answer to the frist two but have to wait till later for the third.

1. What version of iPhoto? iPhoto 11

2. Has it ever worked? Of course, it was was working for sure on March 11th. I moved all of my pictures to an external HD to clear space on my 1TB HDD. I thought I excluded my iPhoto Librarry from the move but apparently didnt. I though I would use the external (HD Netgear Stora) as a secondary backup for my picutres. I have Time Machine, which does not contain my iPhoto Library backup although I have not excluded it from teh backup so I have no idea why its not there either.

3. Disk format? Not sure since it is a NAS, will have to look later.

Mar 28, 2012 9:22 AM in response to eford1616

When I copied it back to my internal HDD, and try to open it, when I do the option+click on iPhoto and it asks for library, and I select the one I Coped back from the NAS, when I click the open button nothing happens. It isnt locked up or anything, the button depresses then just does nothing no matter how many times I click on it.

Mar 28, 2012 11:44 AM in response to eford1616

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Rebuild iPhoto Library Database from automatic backup.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. This will create a new library based on data in the albumdata.xml file. Not everything will be brought over - no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your albums and keywords back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one. .

Regards

TD

iPhoto "11 won't open library from external HD that was fine before I copied it over.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.