Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Some observations regarding passwords and the App Store

It used to be that installing or upgrading an app, even free ones, required your inputting your AppleID. There would be a five- to ten-minute grace period during which you needn't enter it again, but afterwards you would be required to re-enter the password. Which made sense: No one wants unauthorized users to start buying up potentially expensive apps without permission.

This is still the case with the iPhone. What's surprising is that this is no longer the case with the iPad. Recently I've noticed that after a good day or two without accessing the App Store, updating apps no longer asks for my password. Given virtually all updates are free, I'm assuming this applies to (free) updates. INSTALLING free apps may or may not require the re-entering of passwords; I don't know, I haven't tried it yet. I'm certainly hoping that password re-entry will be required with paid apps. (Cue story of kid purchasing a $100 app on mom's iPad.)

I'm also assuming that the iPhone continues to ask for passwords -- (free) updates or not -- perhaps because as a truly mobile device, it needs to retain a bit more restrictiveness. I don't necessarily agree, since how much trouble can a free updates cause? (Unless of course you wanted to keep an older version for some reason.) As illustrated, the App Store on the iPad, at least, doesn't seem to require password re-entry anymore, at least for updates.

Is this something anyone else has observed, or is it only my iPad that's somehow affected?

iPad, iOS 5.0.1, 64 GB, WiFi/3G

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 7:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 7:58 PM

Well, I pulled out my other iPad, and when I tried to update some apps, the App Store did require my password. So it may be this particular iPad that somehow has lost its ability to ask for my password when updating apps, or maybe even downloading paid apps. (I'm not eager to try that yet.) FWIW, this iPad also had the issue of updating apps resulting in long wait times before finally downloading; this was fixed by using "Reset All Settings" under General Settings. Perhaps the two phenomena are related? I may try erasing all settings are seeing if that fixes these nconsistencies once and for all. Let y'all know.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 27, 2012 7:58 PM in response to TashTish

Well, I pulled out my other iPad, and when I tried to update some apps, the App Store did require my password. So it may be this particular iPad that somehow has lost its ability to ask for my password when updating apps, or maybe even downloading paid apps. (I'm not eager to try that yet.) FWIW, this iPad also had the issue of updating apps resulting in long wait times before finally downloading; this was fixed by using "Reset All Settings" under General Settings. Perhaps the two phenomena are related? I may try erasing all settings are seeing if that fixes these nconsistencies once and for all. Let y'all know.

Oct 4, 2015 3:50 PM in response to TashTish

Novel idea for you Apple folks.

STOP DEMANDING SUCH SPECIFICS WHEN CREATING PASSWORDS. How secure is it if I have to tattoo every password to my arm? Additionally, why only give me one chance to guess which of the 50 different password formats you use?!?

It's so frustrating that I couldn't be bothered with figuring out how to post a new topic on your inane forum. I love Apple, but ****.

Some observations regarding passwords and the App Store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.