Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unexpectedly quit problem

Two of my apps (MacJanitor and CD LabelPrint) in the dock, when clicked, simply produce a window of goobledegook and the "Unexpectedly Quit" notice. Tried again. Same notice. So I dragged 'em off, poof! and then dragged 'em back from my Application Folder to the Dock. Tried again. Same. So I closed my two Ext HDs (which are showing on my Desktop), then Shut Down. Then evoked the Start Up. Then tried to open said apps again. Same. Went to Repair Permissions of the Mac HD - waited and got the message Permissions Repaired OK. Tried to open the Apps again. Same notice "Unexpectedly Quit". Decided to get the Canon Printer's Install Disc and re install the CD LabelPrint app. Moved the CD LabelPrint folder out of the Applications Folder and put it in Trash (but didn't empty it) then did the install. Heavens knows where that went to - but it said "Successfully Installed". So - now what to do = Trash Preferences? Oh, by the way - I have upgraded Snow Leopard preior to this happening and the CD LabelPrint plus MacJanitor have been working perfectly on my 27" 2.66GHz, 16Gb RAM iMac until now.

Help! This is scary stuff.

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 1:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 2:26 AM

What version o f the system are you using? And what makes you think those apps are compatible with the system you are using?

As for the installer, presumably you (re)installed into Applications. Search for it with spotlight.

6 replies

Mar 28, 2012 1:00 PM in response to X423424X

I am using 10.6.8 and CD LabelPrint has worked perfectly as had MacJanitor until a few days ago when I started getting the Unexceptedly Quit notice., Nothing (no upgrades for example) has changed so far as I can see. I also assume the reinstalled CD LabelPrint would be in Applications - but not a sign of it - I'll use Spotlight as you suggest. And as to why did I use another thread to correct an error - I did this becaiuse I am unfamiliar with the protocols of the discussion group forum - I need to use it more, perhaps?

Thanks for your reply

JB

Mar 29, 2012 7:38 PM in response to James Bowman1

I think MacJanitor is an old system maintenance utility. And according to Macupdate it is so old it has been discontinued. And I beleive the code is only powerpc. There are much newer utilities with similar functions. OnyX is popular. Not sure you really need any of them but that's a different topic.

As for CD LabelPrint I cannot even find a place to download it. That leads me to suspect it too is old and probably powerpc code only too.

Assuming both of these apps are powerpc code I have two questions.

1. Are you running Lion? If so Rosetta (supports powerpc code for intel machines) is not part of Lion so that may be why these apps don't run (although I woudn't expect "unexpectedly quit" so that leads to the next question).

2. Open terminal (in Utilities). Copy/Paste the following line and hit return:

defaults read ~/.MacOSX/environment

If you get anything other than a "does not exist" error message post the results and do not proceed further until we see what those results are.

Mar 29, 2012 8:19 PM in response to James Bowman1

Thanks for these suggestions. I'll try them as soon as I can. I am running Snow Leopard 10.6.8. I agree that CD LabelPrint is old. It is v1 and I got the install disk when I bought the printer in 2004. Everything has been going just fine until a few days ago when both CD LabelPrint and MacJanitor spewed out a lot of gobbledegook informing me the instant I clicked their Icons in the Dock "Quit Unexpectedly"

I'll try what you suggest - many thanks

JB

New Zealand

Mar 29, 2012 8:57 PM in response to James Bowman1

I was afraid of that and suspected it to which is why I really kept harping on about powerpc. 😢

I have to tell you that you are infected with one of the current strains of the Flashback trojan (google it). It looks like Flashback.I.

I suggest you read over this (ever expanding) thread:

"Rosetta" applications suddenly stopped working

I'll give you a couple of terminal commands to get you going but if you don't want to wade through that entire thread (it sort of gets a little lost in the middle but then gets back on track) at least read starting on page 7 starting about here. That is because what I am giving you is not a complete solution even though your powerpc code will probably run without crashing.

Here's the terminal commands. Copy/paste each one and hit return.

rm -rf ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist

rm -rf /Users/Shared/.libgmalloc.dylib

Unexpectedly quit problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.