Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad keeps dropping 4G and won't reconnect

I have to keep calling AT&T and they have to reset my account and then it will work for a short time, then when I go to use the new iPad it will not reconnect and the 4G symbol will be gone. I still have 4 bars but iPad will not connect and it has a error message of (cannot connect to cellular data network). All updates are installed also. Apple has had me reset network settings but that only worked one time, three days of this and it's getting old. P.S. wifi works but seems not as strong as original iPad.

Thanks Tostman

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 3:45 AM

18 replies

Mar 28, 2012 7:14 AM in response to tostman

I'm having the exact same problem. Apple even switched out the iPad and gave me a new one that has the identical problem. I didn't even restore the new one from a previous backup - I went through a manual process of restoring all my apps and data, and the problem remains. If I go into Settings/Cellular Data and toggle Cellular Data off and then on, it reconnects and will stay connected until the iPad goes to sleep, at which time I need to go through the process again.

I took hte iPad to AT&T and they told me that my settings were fine and that my account was fine, so nobody seems to know how to correct this.

Mar 28, 2012 8:47 AM in response to tostman

You're not alone I think - quite a few of us are experiencing a similar option; Cellular data is fine for a while after a restart and then you get the dreaded 'cannot activate....' message despite a strong signal (until you restart again).

It looks to lose the abilty to connect via 3G/4G after it's used Wireless as far as I can see.

No restore / swap or anything thus far looks to fix it, so I suspect it's a new bug in 5.1 which should be simple enough to fix when Apple get around to it.

Mar 28, 2012 9:26 AM in response to tostman

I had AT&T install a new SIM card and the same problem persists. So far I've tried: reset network settings, full restore, switch to new iPad and a full restore with a new SIM, and I still have the same issue - when the iPad goes to sleep it will not wake up and reconnect to the cellular network unless I toggle Celluar off and then on again.

Mar 29, 2012 3:39 AM in response to tostman

It's Back... Sim swap worked for rest of the day but when I left my house about a few miles up the road the 4G signal was lost and I was traveling toward the city not away, when I powered off cellular tab in settings it worked again, before new sim card nothing would happen. Ok Apple the ball's in your court !

Mar 31, 2012 6:58 AM in response to tostman

I am having the same problem on my 64gb AT&T. I can connect and it will work for a few minutes up to about an hour and it doesn't matter if it goes to sleep or I am using it the entire time it just quits and the 4g symbol disappears and never returns. I tried everything including 3 replacement iPads and it seems to be a lost cause.

I reset everything and did fresh setup and restore setup. I even called AT&T and verified the account is good on the current iPad since I have switched it around so many times.

Apr 1, 2012 8:57 AM in response to tostman

I've been having this same problem and just finished my appointment at the Genius bar. He said that Apple will exchange your iPad one time for this problem, but that the issue is really with the carriers. So, exchanging it won't really do any good...same problem will persist. He also said that there are only a few 4G towers around town, which is making the problem worse. On top of that, and I didn't realize this, the iPad3 doesn't have any 3G capability whatsoever. So if you end up in a spot without 4G coverage, you're out of luck.

Anyway, he showed me how to reset my network settings and that seems to be better than powering down/rebooting the device. At least it's faster. And has the added bonus of helping me practice all of my wifi network passwords...

So I reset the network settings in the store and it seems to be lasting longer than my old method.

Apple...time for some work on this issue. I can't believe it's all on the carriers. There has to be an iOS issue going on here too.

iPad keeps dropping 4G and won't reconnect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.