Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Record iFrame at 720p

Does anyone know what this setting means: Record iFrame at 720p ? (Settings>iMovie)

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 7:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 5:45 PM

Well it would appear that turning this on makes your videos record at a much higher datarate, and I assume iframe only.

What this means is when recording video within iMovie you will have video about 3x larger then it normally shoots.

I'm getting around 36.20 Mbits/s

Better quailty, but takes much more space.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2012 5:45 PM in response to Koloss

Well it would appear that turning this on makes your videos record at a much higher datarate, and I assume iframe only.

What this means is when recording video within iMovie you will have video about 3x larger then it normally shoots.

I'm getting around 36.20 Mbits/s

Better quailty, but takes much more space.

Mar 28, 2012 6:04 PM in response to Kiwiphone4

A bit more playing came up with some interesting notes.

You have to record in the iMovie app to acheive the new iFrame high datarate feature.

If you export the recorded video / timeline to your camera roll it compresses it back to the standard lower datarate video.

But if you want to get a hold of the high datarate video then export project to iTunes.

Change the extension to .zip

Uncompress, and there you have the high datarate video, i Frame, ready to edit.

It should be much better quailty and easier to edit, as it has either more or only i Frames.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_compression_picture_types

Oct 25, 2013 10:25 AM in response to laserheart

From that page:

"Setting a camera or camcorder to record in the iFrame format will result in optimized performance in iMovie ’09, iMovie ’11, and Final Cut Pro 7 or later. With iFrame, content is kept in its native recorded format, so importing and editing video is fast, and file sizes are small."

The file sizes ARE small compared to uncompressed, but, in my tests, capturing in 1080p NON-iFrame gives smaller files than iFrame.

Record iFrame at 720p

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.