Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How does the iPad 2 rate as a sheet music display?

Hi, I am a pianist, and I am looking for something that removes the worry of Sheet music falling off the stand in a rehearsal or concert. I'm considering getting an iPad 2 to address this. I know there are a number of apps out there such as forScore, which allow you to read PDFs of sheet music, but I have no idea how effective they are. I have a friend who was in the same situation as me. He used an original iPad to display his music, but complained that it was nowhere near responsive enough with page turning to work effectively. Is there anyone reading this who is currently using an iPad 2 to read sheet music? If so, which app do you use, is it effective and would you recommend it? Many thanks.

iPad 2

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 8:54 AM

7 replies

Mar 28, 2012 10:31 AM in response to Phidgers

I'm not a concert muscian. However, I've used my iPad for piano music. It worked fine for me. I believe the app I used is called Etude. However, I don't recall if you can import your own music into that program or not.

The other issue I can see is that the iPad is, compared to sheet music, rather heavy. It's fine on the music stand of a piano. It would probably be okay on one of the music stands I used to use when I played in an orchestra (they were black metal). I think, though, that it wouldn't be trustworthy on a folding music stand. If sheet music falls to the floor, you just pick it up. If an iPad falls down, it might break.

Best of luck.

Mar 28, 2012 10:46 AM in response to Phidgers

Many thanks for the replies guys. I guess my main question is how quick the ipad 2 can be at "turning pages". I don't want to be in a situation where I get towards the end of a page, swipe the screen to get to the next page, and find that nothing happens or I get a significant delay. As far as it falling off the stand, I would probably affix it to the piano itself using blu-tac or something similar, if the piano I was performing on did not have a sturdy enough stand. And Paulcb I take your point about posting on a music forum as well, thanks for the idea 🙂.

How does the iPad 2 rate as a sheet music display?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.