Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help with iCal restore

Hello,

One of our users lost her calendar data last week. The iCal service itself seems fine - no one else has lost their data, and I can log into the user in question's iCal client (or the web calendar) and create items. It is as if somehow all the items were selected and deleted.

Any road, we need to do a restore of her data. Apple Enterprise support wouldn't help, they said that restoring Postgres data was beyond their scope (a little off-putting that they aren't willing to help restore data on their own server, but that's another topic...).

We have successful Time Machine backups, and know the approximate date the data disappeared.

I've read a few pages that refer to ways we can restore from the Postgres 'dumpall' file that is created each day, but I could use some help with specifcs.

Can any of you kind souls please help us out with instructions (e.g. stop the Postgres service, run such-and-such a command, etc.)?

Also, how do we 'merge' the data from said user into our existing DB? Or do we simply restore the backup, log in as her to export her calendar, then start the present DB back up?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 8:56 AM

3 replies

Mar 28, 2012 2:40 PM in response to sirsimonm

I would try to restore the TM backup to another machine (with all the hassles that comes with)

I would the setup the ical client on the server and login to her account, then EXPORT the calendar and IMPORT it again

I am not aware of an autfomated backup, where is it. If you do have it you can try copying back the individual entries but i can see that being a challenge

Mar 28, 2012 7:44 PM in response to thesubmitter

If Time Machine is enabled, the backup looks to be made once per day, and located here:

/Library/Server/PostgreSQL/Backup

Apparently, it is a dump of all DBs to a script file.

Per the 'Advanced Admin Guide':

"Time Machine automatically backs up data and settings for these services: Address Book, File Sharing, iCal, iChat, Mail, Podcast, Profile Manager, Time Machine, VPN, Web, and Wiki. Time Machine also automatically backs up some settings for other services, but you may not be able to completely restore settings changed with Server Admin or with command-line tools."

I hear you on the idea of restoring the backup to another machine. I originally wanted to restore it to Lion Server on Parallels, but I haven't found a way yet. The TM backups are on a Thunderbolt Drive that is only visible to the virtual machine as a shared folder.

Help with iCal restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.