Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut "Wrong Type"

So recently my G5 (running 10.4.11) had a bit of a meltdown (it had directory structure corruption). That was fixed though by reinstallinng the OS 10.4.11 combination updater. It starts up and everything works fine... Except for one thing. Whenever I try to open a Final Cut (5.0.4) project I get the message "Wrong Type" and the project won't open. There is not one project that will open. Also I can't make a new project from inside Final Cut. The option litterally isn't even there. All I can do is open up raw files and look at them in the Final Cut Viewer.

I looked this problem up and saw that some people managed to have some success by using programs like "Quick Change" to alter the File Type to FCPF and the creator to KeyG. This did nothing for me.

I'm using my hands to paddle upstream, but that ain't working.

Final Cut 5.0.4-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 9:18 AM

3 replies

Mar 28, 2012 11:07 AM in response to jimrage

If you had directory corruption, you still have it.

Installing the Combo Updater might have earned you a respite but it didn't fix the issue really.

There are only two ways to deal with that:

•erase and reformat then reinstall everything from scratch.

•use DiskWarrior (software) to repair the directory. It might be too late for this now, but the software is well worth having if only as part of your maintenance routine. Used regularly, you will never get to a stage where directory damage causes a meltdown.

Final Cut "Wrong Type"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.