As I said above in my post
1. Spotlight in general will skip that when I DO want to search those, thus the SavedSearch in the Smart Folder becomes useless when I change the Spotlight Preference back to a normal full search
2. the Spotlight preference list doesn't really find the root folders at the top of the tree of locations I want to exclude, so Mac is still picking up unwanted thousands"
changing Spotlight preferences is useless
Figured this out.
1. Open up finder.
2. Browse to the folder you want to search
3. type something, anything.
4. Below you should see a bar that says: Search: This Mac "current folder" Shared | Contents File Name
where current folder is whatever folder you are in.
5. There should be a save button and a + on that line as well.
6. press plus and start building your criteria (I did created Today)
7. delete whatever you typed in step 3 - tada, no more emails, js files, xml, weird things named x12_afdfadsfdareadf or anything. Just your criteria for that folder
8. Click Save, add to sidebar
I remember when you could do and or on a mac. But I don't see it anymore. Hope this helps