Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I exclude stuff in a Mac search?

I am trying to search my desktop Mac for all images that I have created, such as tiff, png, jpeg, gif - whatever. My images, pictures, photos are disorganized so I am trying to find them all. I have different photo apps/libraries, imports from other computers, imports from devices, grabs and scans, you name it, there is every kind of file or folder. Problem is, the search finds Application icons and stuff in the thousands that I don't want. I'm pulling up Apple icons and printer lcons, junk! I cannot organize Finder based on location nor can I find a way to exclude location. I tried using Spotlight Preferences, starting with excluding Application and Library, but that won't work because

1. Spotlight in general will skip that when I DO want to search those, thus the SavedSearch in the Smart Folder becomes useless when I change the Spotlight Preference back to a normal full search

2. the Spotlight preference list doesn't really find the root folders at the top of the tree of locations I want to exclude, so Mac is still picking up unwanted thousands

3. i don't want to exclude 'library' as that can be a folder name in a Photo application

I don't understand why search criteria is so hard to create. I don't want EVERYTHING, I need to exclude about 9 /10s of what the Mac is finding. How does that help me? I am very frustrated. Can somebody help?

thanks a bunch, Tina

iMac (20-inch Early 2008), Mac OS X (10.7.3), I dunno, is mine an Intel?

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 11:52 AM

5 replies

Mar 28, 2012 6:54 PM in response to TH.E

As I said above in my post

"

1. Spotlight in general will skip that when I DO want to search those, thus the SavedSearch in the Smart Folder becomes useless when I change the Spotlight Preference back to a normal full search

2. the Spotlight preference list doesn't really find the root folders at the top of the tree of locations I want to exclude, so Mac is still picking up unwanted thousands"

changing Spotlight preferences is useless

Oct 25, 2012 7:30 AM in response to TH.E

Figured this out.

1. Open up finder.

2. Browse to the folder you want to search

3. type something, anything.

4. Below you should see a bar that says: Search: This Mac "current folder" Shared | Contents File Name

where current folder is whatever folder you are in.

5. There should be a save button and a + on that line as well.

6. press plus and start building your criteria (I did created Today)

7. delete whatever you typed in step 3 - tada, no more emails, js files, xml, weird things named x12_afdfadsfdareadf or anything. Just your criteria for that folder

8. Click Save, add to sidebar

I remember when you could do and or on a mac. But I don't see it anymore. Hope this helps

How do I exclude stuff in a Mac search?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.