Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to connect a hard drive on the usb port of my time capsule?

Hello,

I have a 1T iomega HD and would like to connect it to my TIME Capsule to either mak a back up of it or to expand the capacity of my TimeCapsule.

thanks

Ric

Time Capsule-OTHER

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 2:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 2:45 PM

Please start by using Disk Utility on your Mac to verify that the drive has been formatted correctly to work with Mac and the Time Capsule. That would be a format of Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Then, post back when you decide how you want to use the drive, as this will determine the next step that you will take.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2012 2:45 PM in response to ricmoreira

Please start by using Disk Utility on your Mac to verify that the drive has been formatted correctly to work with Mac and the Time Capsule. That would be a format of Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Then, post back when you decide how you want to use the drive, as this will determine the next step that you will take.

Mar 28, 2012 3:58 PM in response to ricmoreira

You now have two drives that can be used for Time Machine backups, or other storage needs.

You need to understand though that Time Machine will not simply continue backups to the USB connected drive once the Time Capsule is full. You will have to start over with a new "master" backup on the USB drive and then proceed with incremental backups again.

If you plan to copy the contents of the Time Capsule to the USB drive, that is a separate type of backup called an "Archive". I am not clear if you want to do this or not.

Are you able to "see" both the Time Capsule drive and the USB connected drive in the Finder, or do you need some tips on that?

how to connect a hard drive on the usb port of my time capsule?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.