Skip navigation

Report crash process using over 100% of CPU

4969 Views 18 Replies Latest reply: Dec 1, 2013 11:46 PM by Christians23 RSS
1 2 Previous Next
mickcoll79 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Mar 28, 2012 2:59 PM

For the past few days my macbook pro (lion 10.7.3) has been overheating and the fan has been going crazy.

In my processes, there is one called "report crash" that is consistently using between 50% and 180% of the CPU. I force quit it, but it just comes back straight away.

I looked into my logs to see what is causing it and there seems to be a continial launch/crash cycle related to com.apple.midiserver, whatever that is.

does anyone have a clue why the midiserver is fighting to be launched ad infinitum and causing my mac to go berserk?

cheers

Mick

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)
  • Linc Davis Level 10 Level 10 (107,375 points)
    Mar 28, 2012 3:37 PM (in response to mickcoll79)

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

If you’re running Mac OS X 10.7 or later, open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the page that opens.

Step 1

Enter the name of the crashed process in the Filter text field. Post the messages from the time of the last crash, if any – the text, please, not a screenshot.

Step 2

Still in the Console window, look under User Diagnostic Reports for crash reports related to the process. The report name starts with the name of the crashed process, and ends with ".crash". Select the most recent one and post the contents – again, not a screenshot. For privacy’s sake, I suggest you edit out the “Anonymous UUID,” a long string of letters, numbers, and dashes in the header of the report, if it’s present (it may not be.)

Mar 29, 2012 8:40 AM (in response to mickcoll79)

In the Finder, select Go ▹ Go to Folder... from the menu bar, copy the text on the line below into the box that opens, and press return:

~/Library/Preferences

From the folder that opens, delete the following items, if they exist:

com.apple.CrashReporter.plist

ByHost/com.apple.CrashReporter.*.plist

where "*" stands for a long string of letters, numbers, and dashes. Then log out, log back in, and see whether there's any improvement.

Mar 29, 2012 9:29 AM (in response to mickcoll79)

CrashReporter itself is crashing. Is there also a crash log for MIDIserver?

Mar 29, 2012 9:45 AM (in response to mickcoll79)

Pro Tools is causing that crash.

Mar 29, 2012 10:07 AM (in response to mickcoll79)

Pro Tools installs all kinds of system modifications, including some really crappy ones, that affect all users, even when the application isn't running. I've never used it myself, and I can't offer anything more specific. You'd have to go to the developer, or its user forums, for further help. Maybe it needs to be updated.

There's a slight chance that things might get better if you apply the Mac OS X 10.7.3 updater, which you can download from the Apple Support site. That will bring your build version to 11D50d. There were some problems with the build you have, 11D50. I can't hold out much hope from this, however.

Mar 29, 2012 10:50 AM (in response to mickcoll79)

If you can find any way to get your work done without using Pro Tools, go for it. If you can't, dedicate a Mac to it as a single-purpose workstation. Don't install any other software on that machine and don't use it for anything else. Never install an OS update without verifying that Pro Tools is compatible -- often it won't be.

1 2 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.