Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ARW Unsupported By iPhoto???

So yesterday I purchased a new digital camera (Sony NEX-C3) and after the battery charged (5 hours later) I set up the camera and formatted the memory card and started shooting some pictures. I took about 10 pictures and plugged the camera into my computer and proceeded to import the RAW and JPEG files into iPhoto 09, until I got this message.

Unreadable Files: 1 The following file could not be imported. The file is in an unrecognized format.

/Users/Shared/iPhoto Library/Import/Masters/Roll 1/DSC00005.ARW

WHAT?

So I called up Apple and spoke with a tech and I asked him if iPhoto 09 supports ARW and he didn't see where it did. So I asked him if iPhoto 11 supports ARW and he said that it did. So I downloaded iPhoto 11 and got the same message. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong or I'm misunderstanding? I know that RAW files have to be converted to actually use them, but I still don't understand why iPhoto will not recognize the ARW/RAW file.

Any ideas?

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 5:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 5:52 PM

You need to apply the system RAW file updater in order to get that raw compatiblity. It's not built into iPhoto but the System. Lion 10.7.2 has support for Sony Alpha NEX-C3 built in. OS X Lion: Supported digital camera RAW formats So if you're not running Lion you will need to upgrade to it and then run the Lion 10.7.3 combo updater. That will bring you up to the most current version.

However, make sure you Mac meets the requirements for Lion:

General requirements

• Mac computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor
  • 2GB of memory
  • OS X v10.6.6 or later (v10.6.8 recommended)
  • 7GB of available space
  • Some features require an Apple ID; terms apply.

OT

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 28, 2012 5:52 PM in response to MzcPrd

You need to apply the system RAW file updater in order to get that raw compatiblity. It's not built into iPhoto but the System. Lion 10.7.2 has support for Sony Alpha NEX-C3 built in. OS X Lion: Supported digital camera RAW formats So if you're not running Lion you will need to upgrade to it and then run the Lion 10.7.3 combo updater. That will bring you up to the most current version.

However, make sure you Mac meets the requirements for Lion:

General requirements

• Mac computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor
  • 2GB of memory
  • OS X v10.6.6 or later (v10.6.8 recommended)
  • 7GB of available space
  • Some features require an Apple ID; terms apply.

OT

Mar 28, 2012 6:01 PM in response to MzcPrd

UPDATE - I just checked to make sure there were no software updates for iPhoto 11 and there was (3.11). I downloaded the update and so far I have been able to download/import 2 RAW (ARW) file's with no problems. Keep your fingers crossed and I'll keep everyone posted.

Oh yeah, and thanks for the idea Old Toad. . . .it got my gears turning!!

ARW Unsupported By iPhoto???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.