1 2 Previous Next 28 Replies Latest reply: Jan 22, 2013 5:14 AM by ming30
MichiHenning Level 4 Level 4 (1,350 points)

Seeing the intense interest in the submission and approval process, I figured it would be useful to chronicle my experiences here. I have just finished my first book, and iTunes producer has given me the all-clear for upload.

Stats for the book:

• Paid book with DRM
  • 27800 words
  • 83 pages
  • 89 photos (1024 x 768)
  • 33 diagrams (some vector graphics, some as JPG images)
  • A few galleries for the images, and a few interactive images
  • 35 videos, totalling about 2 hours 10 minutes in length; one 4-minute video used as the intro media
  • 3 HTML 5 widgets (actually the same widget included at three different places in the book)
  • 1.53 GB file size for the .ibooks file
  • Sample book has 10 pages, 9 images and diagrams
  • Five screen shots for the submission

29 March 2012, 11:00am: started upload. During the upload, iTunes Producer says "Verifying asstest with the iTunes Store…" It will take a while, seeing that I only have 100 kB/sec outgoing bandwidth.

Michi.

• 1. Re: Diary of a submission

Less than five minutes into the upload, I got the first error:

ERROR ITMS-9000: "Image dimensions '438x480' of image file 'Cover.jpg' do not meet the required minimum dimension of '600' for either height or width" at Book (MZItmspBookPackage)

29 March 2012, 11:22am: Re-started upload after replacing the cover image with a higher resolution one (600 x 658).

It would be nice if iTunes producer would catch this problem before starting the upload. It would seem that trivial validation could be handled much earlier in the process, long before I believe my book is ready to upload.

Michi.

• 2. Re: Diary of a submission

29 March 2012, 11:27am: It appears that the package has passed initial validation. The activity monitor now says "Uploading package to the iTunes Store…"

This will take some time. I'll find out what happens next when I get back home later today.

Michi.

• 3. Re: Diary of a submission
    K T Level 7 Level 7 (23,700 points)

This is going to be a loooongggg thread

It would be nice if iTunes producer would catch this problem before starting the upload. It would seem that trivial validation could be handled much earlier in the process, long before I believe my book is ready to upload.

Michi.

As always, feel free to use the 'Provide iBooks Author Feedback' menu item for features you'd like added in the future, etc.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ibooks-author.html

• 4. Re: Diary of a submission

29 March, 18:25pm: Package uploaded successfully. Status now says "Imported". Status in iTunes Connect is "Not On 32 stores."

Michi.

• 5. Re: Diary of a submission

5 April 2012 (one week after submission): Not in 32 stores. "Book In Review. This book is currently being reviewed for quality assurance."

Michi.

• 6. Re: Diary of a submission

12 April 2012 (two weeks after submission): Not in 32 stores. "Book In Review. This book is currently being reviewed for quality assurance."

Michi.

• 7. Re: Diary of a submission

19 April 2012 (three weeks after submission): Not in 32 stores. "Book In Review. This book is currently being reviewed for quality assurance."

Michi.

• 8. Re: Diary of a submission

26 April 2012 (four weeks after submission): Not in 32 stores. "Book In Review. This book is currently being reviewed for quality assurance."

Michi.

• 9. Re: Diary of a submission
    LaNeil Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

While we are waiting, is this a textbook? Thanks for doing this. Very helpful and informative!

• 10. Re: Diary of a submission

I wouldn't call it a text book (in the sense of a schoolbook). More like a DIY educational book.

It's called "Djembe Construction - A Comprehensive Guide".

Sort of like a "DIY Car Service" book, but for African drums instead

Michi.

• 11. Re: Diary of a submission

3 May 2012 (five weeks after submission): Not in 32 stores. "Book In Review. This book is currently being reviewed for quality assurance."

Michi.

• 12. Re: Diary of a submission

4 May 2012 (five weeks and one day after submission): Status changed to "On 32 Stores".

No email notification.

I can't find the book in the store yet, but I expect it will show up within a day or so.

While a five-week wait is not great, it's not terrible either.

Michi.

• 13. Re: Diary of a submission
    K T Level 7 Level 7 (23,700 points)

michiiba.png

• 14. Re: Diary of a submission

Thanks for that! I can't see it in the Australian store yet.

The publication date is from the Bowkerlink database, I suspect. I took a guess when I created the ISBN record. I'll update that, thanks!

Michi.

1 2 Previous Next