Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External backup

What are you suggestions for an external backup for my Macbook Pro? I have never had an external backup and I am not sure what my options are. I have thousands of photos that I normally upload to Kodak but I would like to have them on an external drive. Thanks for your help!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Mar 28, 2012 6:38 PM

6 replies

Mar 28, 2012 7:20 PM in response to dafene

Any external hard drive would do, but some great brands are LaCie (prob the best but pretty expensive), Seagate, Western Digital (the brand I have). Now are you only looking to backup photos? You should really be backing up all you info on a regular basis via Time Machine or a cloning program such as CarbonCopyCloner. If you wish to back up all your data (which I would recommend), look for an external HDD about 1 1/2 times the size of your internal HDD's storage capacity. You can get great deals from places such as newegg.com and other online vendors. Look for external HDDs that come with a good 3-5 yr warranty.

Message was edited by: shldr2thewheel--oh and when you get it, plug it into your usb port, open disk utility in the applications folder, erase it, and format it to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) --(unless you are also using Windows on your mac)

Mar 29, 2012 6:22 PM in response to dafene

An external HD would be fine (and faster), but having to connect it each time you do a backup is a bit of a pain.

A Time Capsule (combination of wireless router and hard drive) would be much slower, but far more convenient, as your Mac can back up to it whenever the Mac is awake and within range. It's a bit pricy if you already have a wireless router, of course.

See http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD032LL/A/Time-Capsule-2TB?fnode=MTY1NDA0Mg

External backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.