Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Nikon D800

Any DSLR users? anyone here have an opinion on using the Nikon D800 for video?

Would I be able to plug in and move data direct toFCPX without any hassle.

I have abag of really old and beautiful Nikon lenses...would I be able to adapt them for this camera?

just planning...dont mention it to the missus...

I like the quality people are getting from DSLR, is there a better option for such a low price, $3000.?

cheers

geoff

Final Cut Pro X, Mac OS X (10.7.3), iMac 14 GB

Posted on Mar 29, 2012 1:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2012 8:13 AM

Have a look at the promotional video on this page:

http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Digital-SLR-Cameras/25480/D800.ht ml

Absolutely astounding!

Don't know if it will work with FCPX but I do know that it can use any lens produced (for Nikon SLR) since 1977 (FX or DX).

I would love to get one, but have just bought the Canon HF G10, so that's my allowance blown for the next 5 years.

If you get one, you'll be a lucky, lucky.......

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2012 8:13 AM in response to xfggfx

Have a look at the promotional video on this page:

http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product/Digital-SLR-Cameras/25480/D800.ht ml

Absolutely astounding!

Don't know if it will work with FCPX but I do know that it can use any lens produced (for Nikon SLR) since 1977 (FX or DX).

I would love to get one, but have just bought the Canon HF G10, so that's my allowance blown for the next 5 years.

If you get one, you'll be a lucky, lucky.......

Mar 29, 2012 8:36 AM in response to salty777

Thanx for the link, yes it looks like it might do the job.

I constantly read and see about moire patterning and rolling shutter issues, but the quality is more like I want...reminds me of images on kodachrome from the old days.

Also need to know that it will plug into fcpx without hassle...very important.

My lenses are all pre 1977 , the old manual bayonet types, will have to check it out on other forums.

Dont feel green yet, I am just dreaming at the moment, planning is the best part.

How are you getting on with the Canon?

happy with the images?

does it plug and import ok with fcpx?

Mar 29, 2012 8:37 AM in response to xfggfx

I have a Canon 5D mkii and I simply drag the media from the card onto my dedicated HD which is named VIDEO.

Because of the drive's name, FCP X is fooled into recognising the drive as a camera. I can then log my clips and capture at will (without any loss of quality).

The footage is h.264 - whe quality is stunning.

I too have a bunch of Nikon lenses (I was a pro stills photographer for years) they will soon be on eBay! The quality of the Canon 24-70 f2.8 EF lens is staggering.

Andy

Mar 29, 2012 8:57 AM in response to xfggfx

I'd love to get the new Mk iii - many improvements on the video side, but I'll stick with the Mk ii (and a couple of Sony EX1 Rs) for now.

The 5D has a 32 GB SanDisk Extreme card - I make sure it's clean every time I take the camera out - and I've yet to fill it up! I guess it would take about 45 mins of footage.

On the lenses front, I bought an adapter and fitted my Nikon lenses to the 5D. I was disappointed. The images looked very 'average' compared to the Canon EF.

I think (like most things) lenses have moved on.

Andy

Mar 29, 2012 9:07 AM in response to xfggfx

Dont feel green yet, I am just dreaming at the moment, planning is the best part.

How are you getting on with the Canon?

happy with the images?

does it plug and import ok with fcpx?

I am still learning how to get the best out of it, but so far I'm really pleased, especially in low light.

There was an issue where FCPX wouldn't eject the unit when downloading had finished, but 10.0.3 has fixed that.

As to whether the D800 works with FCPX, if it doesn't today, it will soon.... the D800 is set to become an extremely popular camera... get your order in now (there's a waiting list I think).

Happy shopping!

Mar 29, 2012 9:17 AM in response to xfggfx

xfggfx wrote:

btw Andy do you have issues with moire?

Ha! Yes!

I wore a patterned sweater for a three camera shoot and we had to re-shoot it the next day because of the moire from the 5D ii.

Not a major issue for us though - I normally wear unpatterned clothes for what we do. It could be a problem for architecture or textiles etc.

The moire has been fixed in the Mk iii.

Andy

Nikon D800

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.