Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Express Join Wireless Network Disables Ethernet

I have one of the the older Airport Express (firmware 6.3) and I'm trying to use it to connect a non-wireless machine to an existing network.

Act as a single Wi-Fi interface to any computer or almost any other devices such as game consoles that has an Ethernet port but doesn't itself have built-in Wi-Fi

If I choose "join a wireless network" it appears to disable the ethenet port. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong.

My Setup

ADSL Modem ------ Time Capsule ---[wireless-g]--- Airport Express ---[ethernet]---Computer

Posted on Mar 29, 2012 4:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2012 4:44 AM

Unfortunately, the Ethernet port is disabled when you configure the older AirPort Express version that you have to "join a wireless network"

It can be enabled in the newer 802.11n version, which uses firmware 7.x.x. Sorry, not possible up update the Express that you have since hardware changes were made in the 802.11n model.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2012 4:44 AM in response to Tristian

Unfortunately, the Ethernet port is disabled when you configure the older AirPort Express version that you have to "join a wireless network"

It can be enabled in the newer 802.11n version, which uses firmware 7.x.x. Sorry, not possible up update the Express that you have since hardware changes were made in the 802.11n model.

Airport Express Join Wireless Network Disables Ethernet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.