3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2012 10:57 AM by Carolyn Samit
Bruce A Level 3 Level 3

Good morning.

Is there a preference to set how long Safari tries to contact a website?

It seems to be set at maybe 60 seconds now.

I would like to set it at 5+ minutes for a single website that down't seem to want to let me on, but on for which multiple other users have ready access (probably all windows users).

I use the most recent Safari version for 10.4.11.

Thanks for your time.

PS: I have also tried with Firefox and IE, but both seem to have the same limitation.

PowerBook G4 1.67 mHz 15", Mac OS X (10.4.11)
  • Carolyn Samit Level 10 Level 10
    expertise.safari
    Safari

Hi Bruce...

have also tried with Firefox and IE, but both seem to have the same limitation.

It's not a time limit issue, it's the fact that your Mac is running an outdated Mac OS X Tiger (v10.4.11) and an oudated version of Safari.

Tiger was released on 29 April 2005, so you are about seven years behind today's web browsing technology. 

• Bruce A Level 3 Level 3

Thanks for your reply.

I have also tried it on a WIndows 7 machine with IE -> same abort due to time.

What is it in the newer browser versions that would solve this problem?

Regards from VT where it is back to Spring again.

• Carolyn Samit Level 10 Level 10
    expertise.safari
    Safari

What is it in the newer browser versions that would solve this problem?

Security for starters. And yes, it would solve the problems. Your PBookG4 is about 8 to 9 yrs old? You can't expect aging softwae and hardware to compete with today's technology on the web.

Tiger v10.4 / Leopard v10.5 / Snow Leopard v10.6 / Lion v10.7 and Mountain Lion is not far behind so you are about 4 Mac operating systems behind.

Apple - OS X Mountain Lion. Even more innovation comes to the Mac.

Regards from overcast and a cool SF