Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I rearrange order of photos inside an iPhoto album?

Is anyone having similar problems? I cannot seem to drag them around to change the order of my photos within the album inside iPhoto.

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

iPhoto '11, iOS 5.1

Posted on Mar 29, 2012 8:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2013 8:16 AM

I can't get this to work either. Very frustrating for something that I purchased. I might as well have just stuck with the photo album that comes with the Ipad. Can't seem to get any help here, especially when you look at the date of the first message. When I "hold" the photo down on the album it never "wobbles". I don't know what people are talking about when they mention a journal. No instructions on that either.

I'm seeing a general trend where if you but any apple software, you are on your own to learn it. Not good.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2013 8:16 AM in response to ra1nforest

I can't get this to work either. Very frustrating for something that I purchased. I might as well have just stuck with the photo album that comes with the Ipad. Can't seem to get any help here, especially when you look at the date of the first message. When I "hold" the photo down on the album it never "wobbles". I don't know what people are talking about when they mention a journal. No instructions on that either.

I'm seeing a general trend where if you but any apple software, you are on your own to learn it. Not good.

Aug 7, 2015 3:57 PM in response to ra1nforest

Pad and iPhones display pictures by “date created” which is not necessarily the same as “date taken”. Basically all pictures start with a creation date based on the date the picture was taken however if the picture is saved under a different name or is copied, a new “date created” will be established in the metadata. Unfortunately in iOS you don't have the options available in OS X or Windows to sort pictures for display. To display the pictures in your iPad in the order you want to see them try the following:

1. In your PC’s File Manager create a new folder under My Pictures and name it as you wish, lets say Vacation. That name will be the name that will show up in your iPad.

2. Delete the iPod Photo Cache folder (if there is one) under My Pictures (iPod is correct, not iPad). Usually a new gets created with every iTunes sync.

3. Copy, not move, the pictures you want into the Vacation folder one by one in the order you want them displayed in your iPad. By copying each picture in the right order a new “date created” with be established in the metadata of the photos.

4) If you want to see the pictures in your PC in the new order, select View > Details and sort by “date created”. If “date created” is not shown in the header, right click on the header and tick “date created” in the drop down menu. Go back to "View" and select “Icons” and you will see the pictures in order.

5) Open iTunes and sync the Vacation folder to your iPad (make sure the folder you had synced previously is not also selected, that way it gets deleted). The pictures will now show up in the order you want, essentially any order that you chose if you copy them in that order. This works for iPhones as well.

Jul 27, 2017 10:29 AM in response to ra1nforest

Not straightforward but works:

1) Create a new album

2) Go to yr disarranged album, pick the photo that u want to be the first one and Add it to the new one.

3) ( Optional) Delete the photo that was moved from your old album ( helps a lot to clarify the picking process)

4) Pick the next photo and repeat the process

5) Keep going until you are done

6) Delete old album ( should be empty if 3) is opted) and rename new one as u like

Note : When picking photos from yr old album u can save some time if u select several photos if u find them already in the order u want them to be even if u have to skip some in the middle, providing the order is right.

Sep 21, 2016 4:38 PM in response to ra1nforest

It’s possible to change the order of images within an album. After opening up an album, tap Select, then tap and hold any image until it starts to float. Then drag the image to another position and let go. All the other images will automatically shuffle to make room for the picture. Once you’ve changed the order, tap Done and it will be saved.

How do I rearrange order of photos inside an iPhoto album?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.