Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 24" (Early 2009) - How do I dual screen?

Hello, thanks for coming to my rescue!

I am currently trying to find out how to use my old televsion as a second computer screen for my iMac.

I've been roaming the internet looking for answers and have unfortunately come up dry so I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out what kind of cables I'm going to need.

My iMac:

24-inch, Early 2009

Processor 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256 MB

User uploaded file

My TV:

Samsung - LE23R71B

User uploaded file

I don't know how useful that information is as I'm not really sure what to do at all.

If you need any more information I'll be happy to provide it.

Hopefully that's all you'll need to know to see what cables I should get to put where.

Thanks a bunch!

iMac

Posted on Mar 29, 2012 8:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2012 9:14 AM

Here's an article describing the ports anc connectors on your iMac. You have a Mini DisplayPort connector that you can use to try and drive your Samsung TV using its DVI or HDMI ports.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3470

Here are some sample cable options that would allow you to connect your iMac to the TV.

Mini DisplayPort to DVI Cable (This cable is preferred)

Mini DisplayPort to VGA Cable (This is not the ideal cable since you are converting from digital to analog to drive your TV)

If you already have a selection of HDMI and/or DVI cables you can purchase just the adapters that convert the mini DisplayPort signal from your iMac to a DVI or HDMI signal. Make sure you specifiy the Mini DisplayPort cable, because the standard DisplayPort connector won't fit.

Here's and example:

Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter

Depending on the country you live in you can find this type of adapter online or in your local electronics stores.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2012 9:14 AM in response to DannyTheBandicoot

Here's an article describing the ports anc connectors on your iMac. You have a Mini DisplayPort connector that you can use to try and drive your Samsung TV using its DVI or HDMI ports.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3470

Here are some sample cable options that would allow you to connect your iMac to the TV.

Mini DisplayPort to DVI Cable (This cable is preferred)

Mini DisplayPort to VGA Cable (This is not the ideal cable since you are converting from digital to analog to drive your TV)

If you already have a selection of HDMI and/or DVI cables you can purchase just the adapters that convert the mini DisplayPort signal from your iMac to a DVI or HDMI signal. Make sure you specifiy the Mini DisplayPort cable, because the standard DisplayPort connector won't fit.

Here's and example:

Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter

Depending on the country you live in you can find this type of adapter online or in your local electronics stores.

iMac 24" (Early 2009) - How do I dual screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.