Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud on Windows

I want to share mu iCal with a colleague who runs on Windows. I have iCLoud. She doesn't, but she followed the steps in http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/pc.html. So, she downloaded the panel, created an Apple ID, but each time she goes to step #2 of the previous link, she is directed to the icloud web site where she gets the message:

"Your apple id must be used to set up iCloud on an iOS or OS X device before you can use iCloud.com"

There's no clue what to do next. She doesn't have any iOS devices. Does that mean that icloud on windows is not really possible without an ios device???

Posted on Mar 29, 2012 12:03 PM

12 replies

Mar 29, 2012 12:54 PM in response to Themis Matsoukas

Themis Matsoukas wrote:

I want to share mu iCal with a colleague who runs on Windows. I have iCLoud. She doesn't, but she followed the steps in http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/pc.html. So, she downloaded the panel, created an Apple ID, but each time she goes to step #2 of the previous link, she is directed to the icloud web site where she gets the message:

"Your apple id must be used to set up iCloud on an iOS or OS X device before you can use iCloud.com"

There's no clue what to do next. She doesn't have any iOS devices. Does that mean that icloud on windows is not really possible without an ios device???

An IOS device or a Mac is required to setup iCloud.

Apr 8, 2012 10:18 AM in response to Csound1

Not true.

i moved both me and my mothers accounts to iCloud without any issues and neither of us are having any problems.

My sister on the other had is getting this same issue. She set her account up with a mac and it worked fine for about two weeks and now she getts this message everytime she tries to log in.

Strange thing is it was first saying that her password was incorrect, then after she renewed her password she got this problem.

Apr 8, 2012 10:21 AM in response to m0t3

m0t3 wrote:

Not true.

i moved both me and my mothers accounts to iCloud without any issues and neither of us are having any problems.

My sister on the other had is getting this same issue. She set her account up with a mac and it worked fine for about two weeks and now she getts this message everytime she tries to log in.

Strange thing is it was first saying that her password was incorrect, then after she renewed her password she got this problem.

OK, do it your way.

Apr 9, 2012 4:47 AM in response to Csound1

I have a similar problem. I don't have an iOS or OSX device at the moment, but I've had my Apple email address since 2001 when I got my old Mac Book Pro (now a defunct dinosaur!).

I moved my @me.com address from MobileMe to iCloud a few weeks ago and everything seemed to work OK until the other day I started getting this same message.

When I try to log-in to iCloud control panel on my PC it tells me, "This is a valid Apple ID but it is not an iCloud account."

This doesn't make any sense as I've been using my email on iCloud.com since I moved from MobileMe.

Even though I won't be able to use all iCloud functions without OSX/iOS, I still have to use my Apple address as it's been my freelance work email for years.

Can it really be true that Apple have decided to force old MobileMe customers to buy their hardware? What if you don't need or want an iPhone/iPad or whatever? It seems like Apple is just saying, "Tough luck, you can't use your email anymore." Is that even legal? I feel like I'm being held ransom. I just want my email back!!!

Thanks v much if anyone can offer any help.

May 24, 2012 3:52 PM in response to Zefrons2

I've given up on trying to use my .me address on a computer. I've managed to keep it working on my Android phone for now (HTC Sensation), although I regularly have to search around on the Web for updated server info because Apple keeps changing it. It feels like I'm caught up in some infantile game! In the meantime I've set up a Google account and I'm happy with email/contacts/message syncing between all my computers, smartphone, social media, skype, etc. I've also set up Dropbox for file and photo syncing between computers and smartphone, and it seems to be running very nicely (well-designed Dropbox Android app too). As far as I can tell, moving away from iCloud is the only solution unless you're prepared to go out and buy something Apple. Apple has conveniently forgotten about people like us who faithfully bought iDevices and paid for MobileMe, but were then herded into iCloud after their older Apple hardware had stopped working. Tough luck I guess, but I'm finding out that there are some perfectly viable, if not superior and more problem-free alternatives. Hope you manage to find a solution to your problem.

May 24, 2012 4:28 PM in response to Themis Matsoukas

For me the problem is my 1st-gen Mac Pro won't be supported under Mountain Lion, was getting long in the tooth video card-wise, so my new home machine is now a PC (sorry everyone). I never set-up an iCloud account with my old Mac, but do have a ton of songs I'd like to listen to at work (with is Mac-based).

Service won't let me create an account with this PC, even tho I've transferred all of my songs and authorised my home machine to play all of them.

So I guess my question is--if I use my work machine to create the account, is there anyway to transfer that account to my home machine as the "primary" so that I can use Match to sync with my work machine, or will it just be the few albums I've brought to work which will be Matched back at home?

Feb 28, 2013 2:02 AM in response to Themis Matsoukas

So I was having no problems until the latest update. now not only is it telling my i need an iOS device but I have one. I HAVE an iphone that was syncing just fine. untill i tried changing my password. now my phone is telling me that my password is wrong and iCloud is telling me that my Apple ID is valid but not an iCloud account.

Has anyone been able to fix this? I notice the last post was last year......

Has this problem been sorted?

Feb 28, 2013 6:28 AM in response to katskitty

Sorry katskitty, no solution for your issue on this thread. Here the discussion is about setting up an iCloud account with no Apple hardware (and no, the issue hasn't been resolved yet!). If you've got an iPhone, the set-up process should be fairly straightforward. As Sanmannyer says, looks like Apple is having a few problems at the moment. Plus, I remember when I changed my password on the old MobileMe, it used to take a day or two before the change was recognised across the whole system (I think I even had to repeat the change-password operation a few times too before it was registered). Good luck getting it sorted!

Feb 28, 2013 6:54 AM in response to katskitty

katskitty wrote:

So I was having no problems until the latest update. now not only is it telling my i need an iOS device but I have one. I HAVE an iphone that was syncing just fine. untill i tried changing my password. now my phone is telling me that my password is wrong and iCloud is telling me that my Apple ID is valid but not an iCloud account.

Has anyone been able to fix this? I notice the last post was last year......

Has this problem been sorted?

Until you find out what your password actually is there is no fix so.

Go to www.icloud.com, login with what you think is your username and password. If you can then use the same usernam and password for every other device.

If you can't then you have forgotten your credentials and will need to change them.

iCloud on Windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.