Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sizing Photos to Print Over AirPrint

I just purchased an HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus to print with AirPrint. It prints perfectly from my iPad 2 and 3rd gen Mail, Safari and Pages which are my most frequent apps. However, it does not print properly from iPhoto. I cannot size the photos to print (e.g. 3"x5", 5"x7", 8"x10" on a lettersize 8.5"x11" paper). Nor does the printer scale the photo I am printing to print within the loaded paper size. How does one tell a printer in iPhoto (e.g. 5"x7") or any other photo app to only print a photo a certain size on the loaded paper in the printer? I am willing to buy another app if there is one out there that can do this for this printer over AirPrint.

iPad 2, iOS 4.3.3

Posted on Mar 29, 2012 3:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2012 4:06 PM

AirPrint is quite limited in terms choosing of paper types, sizes, etc. I can tell you from experience that I could only get a 4x6 image to print using AirPrint. If you want more flexibility when printing, try the HP Home and Biz printing app. It's free in the App store, and allows you to print in a few more sizes than AirPrint. I don't think it will allow you to fill an entire 8.5x11 page, but it does give you more flexibility than AirPrint.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2012 4:06 PM in response to anthonyfromspencerville

AirPrint is quite limited in terms choosing of paper types, sizes, etc. I can tell you from experience that I could only get a 4x6 image to print using AirPrint. If you want more flexibility when printing, try the HP Home and Biz printing app. It's free in the App store, and allows you to print in a few more sizes than AirPrint. I don't think it will allow you to fill an entire 8.5x11 page, but it does give you more flexibility than AirPrint.

Mar 30, 2012 1:00 AM in response to anthonyfromspencerville

I agree with Tgara.

Airprint does not have the option to change the paper size. If the printer has a photo tray, then it will recognize it and print the photo on the paper in the photo tray. Your OJ Pro 8600 does not have such, so the photo will most likely printed in 4x6 on A4 paper or the photo paper you have inserted in the paper tray. However, it will not print it borderless I am afraid.

Indeed you have some more print settings in the HP ePrint Home & Biz app available. Check out this document that might help you: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c01930282 &product=3857218#N116

or this document: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02784317&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en &product=4323648&tmp_track_link=ot_search

Regards,

Mandy

Mar 30, 2012 3:08 AM in response to anthonyfromspencerville

Many thanks to Madny78 and Tgara as it points me to the right direction. Also, offline another friend pointed this out as well. I have downloaded and installed the free apps HP PrinterControl and HP home&biz apps. Both are quite useful and substantially the same, although HP PrinterControl screen suggests that it was primarily intended for the iPhone. Both apps allow one to select the print size of the photo image and specify the printer paper size and type before printing. Much better and acceptable for now. In the future, I hope iPhoto comes up with a way to collage the same picture or a collection of different pictures on a standard 8.5x11 inch sheet to get the most from a standard sheet of photo paper.

May 22, 2015 8:01 AM in response to anthonyfromspencerville

You may also try our app Photoprint LT, it allows you to select the needed paper size, also you can print more than one photo per page, many typical photo sizes are supported for printing. Eg you can print two photos on A4. You can download it for free from the apple app store PhotoPrint LT ⇢.

The next version also supports to choose whether to print in photo mode (print on photo paper) or normal mode.

Nov 19, 2016 10:52 AM in response to anthonyfromspencerville

I have the HP 8620 and an iPad Pro with iOS 10.1.1

Talk about frustration. Even 4 years later and numerous advances (and available technologies), it is still impossible to simply push a button to send a resized photo to my printer from the iPad. Even though all the advertisements talk up how easy it is to send and how compatible the iPad Pro is. I am not searching for apps on to install on the HP and the iPad to allow me to print a resized photo. So far, the last two hours have yeilded zilch. So NOT user friendly. All I wanted to do is print some photos..............Great to share photos on screens but printing is not easily done. My photos don't easily transfer to my laptop using iTunes, iClouds, cables or not. Basic functions of printing are beyond Apple's top devices.

Sizing Photos to Print Over AirPrint

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.