Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS version 10.5.8 to mountain lion (or Lion)

Hi I have a mac book pro. Mac OS version 10.5.8. Processor: 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory: 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3……..I currently have Leopard but I would like to update it to the new mountain Lion when it comes out.

Is this even possible????

I also have things like Parralells, office for mac etc which I don’t want to delete…..can I still keep these applications and others on my computer without deleting them???? If no one knows how to do it to mountain lion then a description of how to update to Lion would be much appreciated.

Finally my Macbook pro is the only version without a firewire port, if that makes any difference

mac book, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Mar 29, 2012 3:59 PM

5 replies

Mar 29, 2012 4:02 PM in response to molemeister

Purchase Mac OS X 10.6 on DVD, run the Mac OS X 10.6.8 combo updater, and then use the Mac App Store to purchase Lion. Nobody here knows or is allowed to say what the system requirements for Mountain Lion will be at this time.

If you're using Office 2004 or any other PowerPC-only software, you won't be able to run it in Lion. Otherwise, everything will remain as is unless a problem occurs.

(65204)

Mar 29, 2012 4:04 PM in response to molemeister

Your Mac can upgrade to Lion. The requirements for Mountain Lion are unknown at this point. First you need Snow Leopard (10.6). The disk ships with 10.6.3, you will need to update it to 10.6.8 by simply going to the Apple menu (upper left) and clicking Software Update. Once you have the latest version of Snow Leopard, you will have the Mac App Store. Lion can be downloaded from the Mac App Store.

Updating will not cause anything to be deleted, but some apps may not be compatible. If you have Office 2008 - Office 2011 you will be fine.

Mac OS version 10.5.8 to mountain lion (or Lion)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.