Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to install aperture 3.1 dvd on snow leopard or lion

I have an aperture 3.1 install DVD. I tried to install it on my macbook running lion 10.7.3 and it says:User uploaded file

I then tried to install it on my mac mini running snow leopard 10.6.8... same result.

Then I tried to install on my macbook (dual booted with the lion) running 10.5.8, clean install it worked just fine. Installed and asked me to get the updates.

My question is: how do i get this isntalled on my macbook running lion 10.7.3?

I have tried to repair permissions, I tried making sure I had all the latest updates through software updater. I have tried restarting.

The only thing I haven't tried is format and reinstall fresh, but that is my last resort.

Posted on Mar 29, 2012 7:36 PM

8 replies

Mar 29, 2012 10:23 PM in response to mdheinzer

Is there any diagnostic message (error log) in the Console window, when you run the Aperture 3.1 installer on your Lion system? If you see any crash report, post the first 50 lines of the crash report.

Your boxed version is licenced to run on a macbook and a desktop computer. Since the Trial Version is no longer available for download try to download the full version from the App Store:

• on the system where you have an Aperture Installation register your Aperture version with Apple, if you not already have done so,
  • Sign into the App Store with your apple ID you use for purchases; the App Store now should register your installed applications
  • And if you now log into the App Store with your same ID you should be able to see a download link to download Aperture without having to buy it.

see this thread: Here this approach seems to have worked

This solved my question Re: Ap 3 on two computers?

What I am not sure about, is if you will be able to log into the App Store from a Leopard System.

If you cannot do that, then try to get the latest Aperture update using your Leopard System:

Then I tried to install on my macbook (dual booted with the lion) running 10.5.8, clean install it worked just fine. Installed and asked me to get the updates.

Try to download the updates and make a copy of the installers, before they are deleted again. Then try to run these installer on your other system.

Regards

Léonie

Apr 15, 2012 8:14 PM in response to léonie

Thanks for the suggestions, but shouldn't I just be able to pop my 3.1 aperture disk into my lion machine and do an install? I don't know why this changed.

I found this: http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/19/apple-releases-software-installer-update-1-0 -for-mac-os-x-10-6-8/

I ran the updater and was able to install on snow leopard 10.6.8. But I still can't install with lion 10.7.3

I also tried to find a trial version of aperture 3.1 but was unsuccessful. I thought that maybe i could download the digital file and install since I have a valid serial.

Please someone help.!

Apr 15, 2012 8:38 PM in response to mdheinzer

You could try using Terminal as follows:

1 - Tell finder to show all files:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

Press Return / Enter to run command

2 - Log out and back on to see files > load disc in optical drive > copy all files on Aperture install disc to a folder on desktop.

3 - Use Terminal to re-hide hidden files:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE

4 - Log out and back on to hide files.

5 - Use Terminal to run installer:

sudo installer -package<space>, then drag Aperture Installer.mpkg from the folder on desktop, and then type: -target /

6 - If install is successful, run whatever update you want after downloading from Apple support downloads > run 'Disk Utility' and repair permissions (there may be some Group permissions out of sorts). 😉

Message was edited by: CorkyO2 to add " on Aperture install disc" to step 2.

Apr 15, 2012 10:16 PM in response to CorkyO2

Thanks CorkyO2 but that didn't work. It didn't like the package. I am starting to think that aperture 3.1 disk version is not compatible with lion 10.7. I guess I will have to spend another $80 to get it to work properly. Kinda lame considering apple says it will work with 10.5, 10.6 and newer. They don't explicitly say 10.7 but I would assume that 10.6 and newer means 10.7 so ***?

Apr 15, 2012 10:44 PM in response to mdheinzer

Thanks CorkyO2 but that didn't work. It didn't like the package.

What exactly is the error message now? The same as before? "An unknown installation error occurred..." - Is there a crash report in the Console window? Then please post the exact error message.

You may try to set the date of your computer to March 1, before you install, perhaps this bug still has not been fixed: See this post:

Re: Attempting to install Aperture 3.1: installation fails

Regards

Léonie

Unable to install aperture 3.1 dvd on snow leopard or lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.